Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

when trying to update windows, the update hangs at configuring windows update (27%) and then a message failure configuring windows update occurs then reverting changes-do not turn off your computer--- then error code 8024A000

any thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If you receive Windows Update error 0x8024a000 or 8024a000 when you use Windows Update, there is an automatic troubleshooter included with Windows that might be able to fix this problem for you.

To open the WindowsUpdate troubleshooter
  • Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Troubleshooting in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, tap or click Fix problems with Windows Update.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I have tried this. No help. But thanks for trying

HP Recommended

Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update

1.      Click Start , click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and select Run as Administrator .

2.      If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue .

3.      At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net stop wuauserv
        net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

4.      Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update

1.      At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

2.      ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

3.      ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4.      Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Registering DLL’s pertaining to Windows Update

1.      Please copy and paste the following text into a new Notepad document, and save the file as WindowsUpdate.BAT

2.      If saved correctly the icon will change from a Notepad file to BAT file which has two blue cogs as its icon.

-or-

3.      You can manually type each command at the command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups2.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s

regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s

regsvr32 shell32.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update

1.      Click Start , click All Programs , click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt , and select Run as Administrator .

2.      If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue .

3.      At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net start wuauserv
        net start bits

net start cryptsvc

exit

4.      Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Are there any simpler steps to try first? when I click on accessories, no command prompts is listed to right click on.

HP Recommended

even for me the windows 8 update error 8024A00 was shown..i hav followed the steps you have mentioned but still i am getting update error.

Mainly i wanted to update my windows 8 to 8.1 but i was not able to find the update icon ...i checked the windows update  and following updates were available

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2822241)

Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2802618)

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2819372)

i tried installing but it fails all the time...i tried windows troubleshooter but still getting error.

out the updates last two is installing but first one is getting failed but again when i check all the three updates are shown.

the error code for KB2822241 IS : 800703F1

pls suggest any tips for solving these problems and updating to 8.1

HP Recommended

HI axio:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand that you are unable to install one of  the updates.

I am sending you a link to a  Microsoft document on 'Troubleshoot problems with installing updates. click here.

I hope this helps.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

i have tried that windows update troubleshooter even before..its not working...pls suggest any other solutions...

HP Recommended

Hi axio:

Thank you for your response.

I regret that the document was of no help.

i am sending you a link to a previous post that said it resolved this issue.click here. Please refer to Paul_Tikkanen instructions.

I hope this helps. Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.