Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am using a HP Z400 Workstation Xeon Quad-Core W3565 3.2GHz, 12GB (3x4GB), 1TB, DVDRW, Windows 7 Pro.

This the the model with 6 memory slots, so there was a possiblity for 24GB of RAM.  When I populate the remaining slots 4, 5 & 6 with 4GB DIMM, I get errors on boot up for the newly populated slots.  I am unable to configure for 24GB.

I did discovered that the DDR3's that I am using are non-ECC.  The system has been running fine with the (3x4GB) setup.  Is the non-ECC preventing the 24GB configuration from working?

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Yes it is.

It is not possible to install standard PC and server memory, I've never seen a system of any brand which supports such a configuration.

Officially, the Z400 supports only ECC unbuffered memory modules.

However, it will also run with standard DDR3 RAMs, unsupported only means that HP Customer Service won't help you.

There are some reports that even 8 GB Modules work, but that's another story, 24 GB runs fine.

Mixing different types of memory is generally a bad idea.

Use either ECC unbuffered (which is recommended) or non-ECC, preferably six identical modules.

DDR3 are relatively cheap, even those with error checking and correction.

Good luck

HP Recommended

Just ot be clear:

I am not trying to mix ECC with non-ECC.  All 6 of the DDR3's I have are non-ECC.  I can install 3 of them for 12 GB, but cannot install all 6 for 24 GB configuration.

HP Recommended

Ok, so I assume all six modules are the same type, right ?

What types of errors  do you get ?

HP Recommended

I can install 3, 4 or 5 of the 4GB DIMMs with no errors, if I install the last DIMM in slot 2,  I get the following errors on boot up:

209 - Memory warning condition (WARN_DQS_TEST) dertected slot CPU0 DIMM2
209 - Memory warning condition (rd dq dqs) dertected slot CPU0 DIMM2
203 - Memory module failed self test and failing rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM1
204 - Memory module failed and user rank was disabled slot CPU0 DIMM2

The service manual states the DIMMs to be installed in this order (numbering from right to left) slot
1,3,5,2,4,6.  I have found I can populate skipping slot 2 and it works, however I don't know how much
this affects optimum performnce.

HP Recommended

Before we go further, I need more information about the modules (brand, model, voltage, timings).

You can also attach images if you're unsure.

After that we'll go on and check if one of them is faulty.

HP Recommended

These are  Mushkin Stelleto:

998770 DDR3 UDIMM (6x4GB) 24GB PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 1.5V

I tried swapping out different sticks of RAM to see if one was bad - no difference, all errored when put into slot 2

HP Recommended

ok, at this point I assume you have checked each memory module in single mode.

If not, you should catch up on doing it because the next step is the last resort.

Apart from that, the RAM specs look fine.

So we need to find out if the memory subsystem is working properly...

first, remove the external power from the unit.

Remove all expansion cards, memory modules and connectors from the system board, then take the whole assembly out.

No need to dismount it, just grab the tray and pull it out.

Remove the battery, this will clear all BIOS settings including system time.

This is a brute method, but sometimes BIOS configuration data can become corrupted.

Look if there is any dust in the memory slot and clean it off.

Put the DIMMs into the memory slots and make sure they are seated properly.

This should be easy when you have the board right in front of you.

Then put the battery back in its socket, put the system board assembly back into the case and reconnect everything.

Install the expansion cards, connect the keyboard and monitor.

As soon as the power supply is fed with AC voltage, the system will fire up and do an extended power on self test.

Two error messages will appear soon, reporting that the system time is not set and the system settings are invalid.

Nothing to worry about, just don't forget to go into F10 Setup later to reconfigure the BIOS.

If the memory related errors still come up, the memory subsystem is very likely defective.

The only way to fix this is to replace the system board.

HP Recommended

This is how this build was started with no cards installed,  Bios updated to latest, BIOS reset, video added, HD added, RAM added, power added.

Thanks for trying.

Do you know at what point on POST the BIOS does a RAM ECC check?

I'm thinking it's related to the RAM being non-ECC.

HP Recommended

a memory module has a little ROM chip which tells the host system everything it needs to know.

Of course, using ECC unbuffered DIMMs would be the best way to go, but standard DDR3 RAM should also run fine.

Another thing you could do is to get the HP Vision Diagnostics Offline Edition and run it on your machine

ISO file

USB Flash Disk

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.