Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Has anyone been able to upgrade their z820 to use e5-2600 v2 ivy bridge processors yet? I updated the BIOS to v 3.50 but the workstation doesn't POST. It just sits there with the fans running at full speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Did you guys check the Boot block date? Make sure it's latest like 03/06/2013 or something like this... Because I saw few Z820 systems(Ivy bridge) with "no video" even after BIOS 3.50 update.

View solution in original post

92 REPLIES 92
HP Recommended

Hello,

sorry, i have exactly the same behavior.

Here are the details about my tests .

Configuration : Z820 (MB 618266-002, PCB rev 1.02) with only : one cpu with liquid cooling heatsink, one memory stick(16GB ECC registered 1600Mhz, 1.5V), one quadro, 1125W PSU

The following test sequence was performed:

1. Initial BIOS version: J63 V02.55: CPU  E5-2603: POST is ok, i can go in the BIOS configuration tools, and check the bios version (the memory run slower due to the cpu spec frequency 1066) : ok
  2. Bios is updated in DOS mode (USB boot )-> version J63 V03.50: Bios flash message said all is OK. CPU  E5-2603: POST is ok, i can enter in the BIOS configuration tools, and check the bios version: ok
  3. Replace the E5-2603 CPU by a E5-2695V2: No post with Bios version J63 V03.50, fan at full speed, no beep, black screen
  4. Replace the E5-2695V2 by the E5-2603: same behavior as 2): ok
  5. ME firmware update in DOS mode (usb boot): 8.1.10.1286 ->8.1.40.1416:CPU  E5-2603: POST is ok, i can enter in the BIOS configuration tools, and check the bios version and ME version: ok
  6. Replace the E5-2603 CPU by a E5-2695V2: No post with Bios version J63 V03.50 and ME  8.1.40.1416, fan at full speed, no beep, black screen: same as 3)
  7. I tried another new E5-2695V2 cpu: same result as 6)
  8. i tried both E5-2695V2 cpu installed: same result as 6)

The V03.50 BIOS that should support new cpu (as explained in the documentation), does not work with the E5-2695V2 cpu.

I think i have updated all that is required to do the cpu upgrade, and i checked all plugs and contacts (and remove the battery between each modification).  No idea about other things than BIOS that generates the problem, or perhaps i missed something.

Does anybody have an idea, better results (or a solution) ?

This is the first HP i bought, do you know if HP  will fix the Z820 BIOS to support the dual e5-2600V2 cpu in old Z820 workstations, or HP will keep the compatibility only for the new motherboards it sells, as i read in a forum ?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Has anyone gotten an answer to this problem. I have a Z620 and I updated the Bios to 3.50.  I tried to install a E5-1650 v2 in place of the E5-2609 that it came with.  System did not boot--in fact the only thing that I saw was a flash of the DVD light and no flashes for the HD.  The heatsink fan came on and ran.  I replaced the E5-2609 and system booted normally.  I spoke to support and they suggested that I upgrade the chip set, which I did, but I have not tried to reinstall the new CPU as I reported to the retailer that it would not post and they are sending me a return document. 

I would really like to know if there may be a problem on my end before I return it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

HP Recommended

Did you guys check the Boot block date? Make sure it's latest like 03/06/2013 or something like this... Because I saw few Z820 systems(Ivy bridge) with "no video" even after BIOS 3.50 update.

HP Recommended

Hello,

i saw this boot block issue, too. 

My Boot Block date is 12/28/2011, and it didnt change after the BIOS update to version 03.50 (my starting BIOS version was 2.55).

HP documentation says to update to the latest BIOS, it is what i did, but the Boot block date remained !!!

In the BIOS documentation, i saw that a previous BIOS release ( 3.05)  modified the bios boot block to 3/6/2013 to support future products.

So i tried a 3.05 update, the flash was sucessfull (the version appeared 3.05) but the BIOS boot block remained (with the no post problem)  12/28/2011.

I also tried an incremental update: 3.05 ->3.16->3.50. But the Bootblock date remained, with the no Post problem.

The flashes were done in DOS mode (usb boot): no change

A win7 pro on SSD was installed and the same flash sequence was done with HPQFlash in windows. Same results: the boot block date remained with no Post.

I contacted the HP support (case was opened about a non working BIOS) in Europe. The support contacted HP US, about this case, and HP US seems not want to support my case. 

For this case, i forgot to mention (to hp) that the Z820 was bought october,15th 2013, it is a hp refurbished WS, sold by a hp partner in US, and has 1 year warranty. 

Do you think my motherboard has a problem ?

Could you detail your tests configuration, to know what doesnt work (or work): cpu stepping and version (box or oem version, etc) , motherboard S/N, starting bios version, etc..

Thanks 

HP Recommended

@lb_idf wrote:

In the BIOS documentation, i saw that a previous BIOS release ( 3.05)  modified the bios boot block to 3/6/2013 to support future products.

So i tried a 3.05 update, the flash was sucessfull (the version appeared 3.05) but the BIOS boot block remained (with the no post problem)  12/28/2011. 

What was the jumper settings when you tried updating bios 3.05?
which utility you used for updating?

Jumper settings for updating boot block:

put a jumper on E14 & put a jumper on E1 (pin 1 & pin2)

- make sure to remove E14 after bios update.

- make sure to put E1 jumper back to previous pins (pin2 & pin3) after update.

HP Recommended

I suspect that the boot blocker is my problem as well. But I do not know where the E14 is, where to put a jumper on it (and to what) or where E1 (pin 1 & 2) is. For that matter, what kind of jumper do I need. I assume that the E1 jumper is already there because you say to put that jumper back on pin 2 and pin 3 after the update. Are these jumpers the same as the jumpers that one use to put on a hard drive to make it a slave or a primary drive? Are there extra jumpers that are typically available in the machine or on the mother board?

Finally, I have used the Windows utility to flash the BIOS. Is that acceptable when doing it with the jumpers in place?

Sorry for my obvious incompetence. All I am trying to do is set up my Z620 with the Ivy Bridge CPU I bought based on the representation by HP that this could be done with the new BIOS verison.

HP Recommended

Hello all.

Blackpony,

for your information the jumper E14 is under PCI express Slot 4, and E1 is under the first RAM location of CPU 0, on the right side of the mother board.

Pabla,

thanks for your help.Whe ni flashed the 3.05, i tested with no jumper E14, and E1 in 23. i also tested a E14 jumper alone, same result. The boot block remained. All other jumper in theri default position.

Here my test procedure, for now i tested only in DOS mode.

1. I created this bootable usbkey from the "HP USB Disk Storage format tool", and copied the least files to be bootable.
  2. I downloaded the SPxxxxx.exe files corresponding to the BIOSes, I unzip them in a directory on the usb key (one per BIOS version).
  3. inside each directory (ex SP63330) there are 2 sub directories: DOSFLASH and HPQFLASH, inside them, there are the specific exe , the binary file, the flasuefi.cpu file, all used as is.
  4. The Z820 off, i put the jumpers as you required: E14 and E1 (on 1/2)
  5. I booted under DOS, changed the directory to the BIOS 3.05, then go to the DOSFLASH directory, then i type the command:
  6. Dosflash     :the flash is done,BUT after reboot the bootblock date remained not changed
  7. i rebooted (with the jumper in place)  and i tried  several DOSFLASH options: /B for bootblock, /F flshuefi.cpu, /U (for microcode). and any combination of these parameters, all the time the boot flash was sucessful (no error message) . But the bootblock date remained not changed. I found a difference with the /B parameter, the keyboard lights became all on, and when the flash was finished, a little sound sequence was emitted (4 quick beeps, increasing frequency i mean ), after flash the 3 lights remained lit.
  8. I flashed the bios upward 3.05,3.16,3.50, with these otions, a reboot after each flash (and the jumper always on), no change: The bootblock date remained not changed.

Do you think another jumper modifcation is required (the password ? even if i havn't put bio spassword) ?

An idea ?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I don't own a z820 and must confess I find this thread a little unnerving.

Firstly, the z820 v03.50 BIOS update does not list any dependencies within the "System Requirements" section  which is disturbing since the "Release Notes" section states:

"The system BIOS 3.50 (sp63330) should include the following URL just below "System requires a BIOS version of 01.07 or greater to update to the new 02.00 or 03.00 code base" in the release notes."

So it seems that BIOS v03.50 does indeed have a dependency, or prerequisite if you prefer, on BIOS v01.07 or later being loaded on ones system board...

Also there is no mention within the Installation Instructions that one must set jumpers or take such physical acts on the system board. If one is indeed required to set jumpers, I would have thought HP should mention this explicitly within the "System Requirement" section as well as "Installation Instructions" section...

I would also think that if a BIOS updated the boot block date to 3/6/2013 as is indicated within the v03.05 fix section, then any later BIOS would also make this change if v03.05 was not explicitly loaded, otherwise any and all later BIOS updates are indeed dependent on 03.05 which MUST be documented if this is the case !!

Really, it's well past the time for HP to lift their game and actually start to focus on the quality of their documentation, especially with such critical HP releases related to BIOS updates...

As to why HP simply states "Added support for latest Intel processors" within the enhancement section of v03.50 is still confusing when it is better to categorically state the version of the microcode that is updated as well as explicitly stating what processors (eg. E5-2620v2) are actually supported by this updated microcode. Why leave anything up to interpretation when clarity is much better for all...?

Must I now check every word of every BIOS release for my z210, including the ones secretly pulled by HP, to ensure the BIOS loaded on my system board has indeed been updated correctly? This hardly inspires confidence does it...

HP Recommended

Interesting topic.....

I, too, do not have access to the Z820 but there were similar discussions related to the update of the motherboards for the earlier Z400, Z600, Z800 series related to their soldered-on Intel 5520 In/Out Hub chipset undergoing a "stepping update" from the B3 stepping (older) to the C2 stepping (newer).  That update involved different versions of BIOS being released, but it was stated by Dan_in_WGBU (very helpful HP engineer) that the "boot block" is hard-coded and does not update with BIOS updates.  Here is the stepping info on that chipset change from Intel:

Intel 5520 Chipset Versions.jpg

Again, the Boot Block is different from what we think of as BIOS, and Dan indicates that it does not get changed with any BIOS update, and thus its date stays the same.  However, I can imagine a circumstance where this statement might need to be modified.

Here is the link to Dan's discussion about the Boot Block issue, from the past:

/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/Looking-for-old-BIOS-z400/m-p/5425531#M12808

It would be very interesting if there actually was a way to update the boot block in special circumstances, but I would only do that if there was a HP-sourced method for a specific version of a motherboard, and with a specific boot block updater intended for such use.

Seems unlikely..... unless there actually was no need for change in the chipsets soldered onto the motherboard when a new generation of processors came out and HP wanted to support those processors, and yet a Boot Block update was in fact necessary to run the new processors.  If that is the case now then it would be helpful if HP would document carefully how to perform such a Boot Block update properly for the newer workstations.

That would be a different case than Dan was addressing with the Z400/Z600/Z800 workstation issue, where a new generation of processors would only work if they were matched with the newer C2 chipset stepping soldered on the new motherboards.  The old original Boot Block motherboards could never have become compatible with the newer processors because the old B3 stepping version of the chipset remained soldered in place.

Getting into this depth of the hardware/firmware likely would require specific skills and have risks associated with it, and the documentation of correct process may need to come from one of us if it exists.  I'd proceed with caution on this project.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.