Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm trying to make the Reverb G2 work on my Surface Book 2, but I've been scratching my head much more than I expected with its setup.

Surface Book 2 doesn't have a DisplayPort, so I bought a USB-C-to-DP adapter. What I have now is this:

- The USB-C cable connected to a USB 3 port through the adapter that came with the VR.

- The DisplayPort cable connected to the USB-C port through the aforementioned adapter.

Looking at the Device Manager, everything seems fine: I can see the Reverb G2 driver under "Mixed Reality Devices" and no errors are displayed in the device properties.

When I start Mixed Reality Portal, I get an error 7-14 and when I look again at the device properties I see this message:

Device Error : 0x8004020E : E_DEVICE_MISSING_PRESENCE

When I try to connect the USB-C cable directly to the USB-C port, the headset isn't even recognized (and even if it was recognized, I wouldn't have available ports to plug in the DisplayPort cable).

I tried both USB 3 ports (they are both USB 3.1 Gen 1), but I get the same error.

Any ideas on what might be causing it? I saw a couple of threads in this forum related to error 7-14, but they were specific to ASUS boards.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@edamiani

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues setting up the Reverb G2.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Make sure that the most recent drivers are installed for the headset and USB controller.
  • Make sure that the Microsoft USB driver is used. There should be the word 'Microsoft' in the name of the "eXtensible Host Controller" device. See example below: The list of devices in Device Manager
  • Try plugging the cable into a different USB-3.0 port on your computer. (Try all USB Type-C and Type-A ports)
  • Use the included USB-C to A adapter to try different ports.
  • Try plugging the headset in through a USB Hub to the computer.
NOTE: 

HP recommends using only USB controllers built into the motherboard with Reverb G2 devices. If you are unable to connect your device after check all the available ports, please contact HP Support.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @The_Fossette, thank you for your answer. I didn't reply before because I was talking to some people on this Discord channel. I managed to solve the error 7-14 -- it turns out that the Surface Book 2's USB controller doesn't recognize the Reverb G2's USB cable correctly, so I had to plug it in through a USB hub.

After doing that, I couldn't move beyond the requirements check page, even with all the criteria being met. What I did was going to this registry path:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic

and setting 'FirstRunSucceeded' to 1.

After that, Mixed Reality Portal installed a couple of things and, in theory, everything was set, but I couldn't see anything in the display (but I could hear the audio). Investigating a bit further, I saw that the Reverb G2 installs four extra displays:

(Edit: The forum isn't displaying the pictures correctly, please refer to this post in the Discord channel to see them.)

pic1.PNG

The problem is that, apparently, only three out of four displays are actually recognized by Windows:

pic2.png

If I try to select Display 5 (in the first picture) the Settings window crashes and closes. I was wondering if this is the correct behavior -- G2 spawning four displays -- and, in case it's correct, what should I do to make Windows recognize the fifth display?

(By the way, everything is up-to-date -- Windows and drivers.)

Thanks!

HP Recommended

As a follow-up, I managed to fix the phantom monitors by doing what is said here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-microsoft-edge#monitor...

But the headset display still doesn't work. If I try to access it through the Display Settings screen (under Advanced Display Settings), the settings window crashes and closes. I'm starting to think that the Surface Book doesn't like the fact that I'm trying to access a DisplayPort output through the USB-C port.

HP Recommended

@edamiani

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Edamiani,

This is an edit:

I've found out that SB2 supports only DP1.2 spec  😞

https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2019/02/23/microsoft-surface-usb-c-port-capabilities/

So, even if you buy a higher-spec USB-C to DP adapter I mentioned in my original messagew below, that should not matter since the limitation is SB2 not the adapter.

Original post:

Were you able to resolve this issue?

I see that not all USB-C to DisplayPort adapters support v1.3 specification, so, if the adapter you used is only 1.2, since HP Reverb G2 requires v1.3, that may be the issue.

I see that there are now  USB-C-to-DP adapters that support even v1.4. The one from MS (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/surface-usb-c-to-displayport-adapter/8sxhsbstrnwn?rtc=1&activetab=... ) is supposedly supporting v1.4 according to the sales support agent I spoke to on the phone, since the website does not list the version spec of this adapter (but she did not sound technically competent, so, I'd take it with a pinch of salt!).

Of course, there are many more like this one: https://www.startech.com/en-au/audio-video-products/cdp2dp14b 

Please let me know if you figure this out.

Thanks.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.