Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Reverb G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace my G2 6 metre cable due to USB-C connection issue, and the sales required the customer to contact the tech support first before issuing a replacement. While the Tech support needs to check the serial number which I have tried several times, the HP website cannot validate it, and there is no support phone number nor chat available. It is disappointing. HP cannot validate their product serial number and provides no way for the customer to interact with a staff member prior to this point for this issue. How do I fix my product if the serial number is not recognised and it is a uncommon issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You should use the the warranty code displayed in the headset, not the cable, even if it's your cable that is broken.
It should start with 8CC followed by the year and week of its manufacture and 4 extra numbers/letters. So for example a G2 manufactured in the 10th week of 2022 could have a warranty code of 8CC210XXXX, with the X being any number or letter.  If yours does not start with 8CC, then you are not be looking at the right code. The warranty code can be found by removing the facial interface, as it's hidden behind that part of the headset.

If you are sure that you have the correct warranty code, and it still doesn't work, I may know another way.

Considering your USB issue there is a slight chance it won't work, but I think it might.

Open device manager in Windows while your headset is connected.

Raffy404_2-1652919560307.png

Expand the Mixed Reality devices section, if it is visible. If not, click on "view" at the top and select "show hidden devices".

Raffy404_1-1652919549031.png

Raffy404_3-1652919594782.png

After expanding the list of Mixed Reality devices, you'll likely only see your reverb g2, double click on it to go to properties.

Go to the details tab and scroll down in the property list until you find the string beginning with 6d and ending with [0]. Click on it. If this string doesn't exist, try other strings in the property list that have lots of numbers and letters. You should find your actual warranty code beginning with 8CC here.

Please DO NOT share your warranty code here or with anyone that isn't an owner, only share it with HP.

Raffy404_0-1652919448106.png

Raffy404_0-1652920900157.png

I hope this helps! Please let me know if it did.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @RevCableRequest 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. We are really sorry that you are facing issues with your HP Reverb G2. We want to help you with it. 

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

You should use the the warranty code displayed in the headset, not the cable, even if it's your cable that is broken.
It should start with 8CC followed by the year and week of its manufacture and 4 extra numbers/letters. So for example a G2 manufactured in the 10th week of 2022 could have a warranty code of 8CC210XXXX, with the X being any number or letter.  If yours does not start with 8CC, then you are not be looking at the right code. The warranty code can be found by removing the facial interface, as it's hidden behind that part of the headset.

If you are sure that you have the correct warranty code, and it still doesn't work, I may know another way.

Considering your USB issue there is a slight chance it won't work, but I think it might.

Open device manager in Windows while your headset is connected.

Raffy404_2-1652919560307.png

Expand the Mixed Reality devices section, if it is visible. If not, click on "view" at the top and select "show hidden devices".

Raffy404_1-1652919549031.png

Raffy404_3-1652919594782.png

After expanding the list of Mixed Reality devices, you'll likely only see your reverb g2, double click on it to go to properties.

Go to the details tab and scroll down in the property list until you find the string beginning with 6d and ending with [0]. Click on it. If this string doesn't exist, try other strings in the property list that have lots of numbers and letters. You should find your actual warranty code beginning with 8CC here.

Please DO NOT share your warranty code here or with anyone that isn't an owner, only share it with HP.

Raffy404_0-1652919448106.png

Raffy404_0-1652920900157.png

I hope this helps! Please let me know if it did.

HP Recommended

Also, worst case scenario if my method doesn't work, HP can mess up scanning the warranty code during production. That's why there is a very small chance that the warranty code is not included in HP's database.

Quoting the HP VR Quality Manager (u/Voodooimaxx on reddit): 

"The best way to get it fixed is to tell the support agent to escalate the issue up and have the warranty validated.

Barring that, they can contact me and I can help get it done. :)"

So worst case, you can still get your warranty validated.

HP Recommended

Thank you Raffy, this is a very helpful and well laid out explanation!

HP Recommended

That's great to hear! Did your warranty code work?

HP Recommended

I don't have the cable issue, but I do have the same serial number issue. I have entered it by copy and paste form the device manager, the email from HP, and typed it in manually.

I am unable to get past the webpage requiring the serial number, so I cannot contact anyone to elevate the issue or otherwise help.

Even though I do not have an issue now, just a question with the Reverb G2, if I do, I won't be able to get warranty support. So, I still have a few days to return this and do have the link from HP to start a return, though probably will be rejected for the serial number not being acceptable.

HP Recommended

How can I ask a support agent to do anything about it if I can't talk to anyone without a valid serial number? I followed your steps to make sure I had the correct number, which I did, and tried many times and it's not being recognized anywhere.

HP Recommended

I'm also having the same issue. I have tried my 8CC214---- s/n (same code on the headset, invoice, and Device Manager), and it is not being recognised by any of the support forms. I've been trying for weeks to get in touch with HP to no avail.

How can I create a ticket for this? Is there an email address you can share here for other users experiencing the same issue in future?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.