Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there.

I think this is very most likely a Steam issue, but as they're almost impossible to contact I thought I'd ask here first.

I'm up to date, no usb issues, system is nuts with twin 2080s.  WIndows Mixed Experience or whatever it is runs absolutely perfectly, so smooth and lovely.

SteamVR however just says Please plug in your headset.  It's plugged in.  It's working.  I'm looking through it and listening to it and I'm superbly happy, Steam for some reason isn't.

There's not a lot of support articles around for SteamVR, then only post I can find on this issue says turn everything off, turn it all back on again.  Guess what!  I've tried both cards, swapped usbs, I have no hardware issues, blah blah.  There is no hardware issue, it's working.  Steam just won't see it.  I'm guessing Steam picks everything up from the Windows thing?

Has anyone else out there come across this and found a fix?

Many thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Munty-Scrunt Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, if the device is functional and the only issue you have is with the Steam VR, you may want to check with their support team, here's a link I found that should help you out: Click here

And here's another thing I've found, you've probably done this already but if you haven't, please do:

Do the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Close all Steam apps on your computer, including the SteamVR app.
  2. Unplug the link box cables (HDMI and USB) from your computer, as well as its power cable from an electric outlet.
  3. Wait for a few seconds, and then plug the cables back in. On your computer, you might see a notification that drivers are being installed. Wait for the installation to finish.
  4. Restart the SteamVR app.

If you still get a similar error, repeat the steps again. You can also check if you're encountering a USB-related issue.
For more details, see My headset can't be detected due to a USB port issue. What should I do?.

For more information, you may refer to the  SteamVR Troubleshooting page.

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.