Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Envy Desktop 750-514
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new graphics card, FXF Fatboy, that requires a minimum of 500W to operate. Which PSU upgrade would be appropriate for my HP? Something practical that wont break the bank. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello @Bobsimer 

Fortunately, your motherboard uses standard power pinouts, not HP proprietary.

Your model did come with a Micro ATX PSU (power supply). But that series also was available with a 500w standard ATX PSU.

So, I'm not sure if your case has the screw holes for standard PSU's with an added Micro ATX adapter plate or not. You will have to see if it has the holes for standard available. The diagram below is measured in MM.

atx screw hole dimensions.jpg

If so, you are in luck. I would get a standard ATX PSU. Any brand works, but I prefer to use the better brand names like EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic or Thermaltake as they have excellent warranties. If your FXF Fatboy will fit in that case, you can go 500w or up. If a higher wattage PSU is the same or lower price, it would only make sense to go that way.

Let me know what you find and if you have any other questions.

HP Recommended

Thank you Photoray.

Regrettably, I can't check the measurements now. The manufacturer is Delta Electronics Power model DPS-300AB-73 B, part number 849648-003. 

Seasonic has been suggested before, but they have a selection of PSUs with 500W output. I have no clue as to which one will be considered plug-n-play for my PC. Maybe I should ctc them, although that will narrow my search to just that brand. 

Thanks again for your time.

HP Recommended

Do you not have access to the case now?

If you prefer to stick with Micro ATX, there are a few on the market to choose from.

Im not sure what you mean by which power supplies are considered Plug and Play. They all plug in the same way and no special settings or configuration is needed.  So I think you might be getting terminology confused.

HP Recommended

My apologies, I'm not proficient in computer terminology. I always thought "plug and play" meant one could unplug an item and replace it with a different one as simply as plugging the replacement using the existing plugs, etc.. Don't mean to sound like I know much of what I'm doing when it comes to computer hardware.

I have a desktop, downloaded MS Flight Sim 2020 and I needed to upgrade the Graphics card. I bought the card and now I can't plug in the power to it because the PSU that came with my computer doesn't supply the connectors. I must do yet another upgrade, in this case a PSU. I was told by the graphics card manufacturer to get a PSU of at least 500W in order to be able to provide the appropriate power to the card.

Now I need to know which 500W, or higher, PSU is compatible with my computer in order to avoid buying one that would need any alteration to the plugs. Alteration that I may not be able to do from lack of tools and/or experience on this. I wish HP would have a phone number one could call and ask questions. Not that I don't appreciate greatly the opportunity the HP community has to offer. 

I found this site: ATX POWER SUPPLIES, COM where they have a compatibility chart for replacing PSUs for others, but my PSU model is not on their list. I will cal tomorrow. 

I also found a SeaSonic on Amazon that may work for my application. I'll give them a call tomorrow as well to see if it's a direct replacement to my existing PSU. 

Thanks again to you and anyone else wanting to lend a hand!

Robert

HP Recommended

Just came home from Best Buy. What a disappointment. 

I asked the gentlemen at the computer area for a suggested PSU and they had to call the only guy who apparently knew what I was talking about.

He said he could not recommend any PSU upgrade because I run the risk of frying my mother board. He suggested I bring the tower to the Geek Squad counter so they can analyze it and suggest any options available. The second option was to "simply" buy a new desktop.

Spoke to a guy at the geek squad desk and he said HP uses proprietary equipment and it would not be possible for them to suggest any upgrades to my Envy. Only HP could help me by suggesting what's compatible with my PC. 

I told him I couldn't contact anyone at HP and he gave me a number that may or may not work for me. 1-800-474-6836.

Here goes nothing...

I'll post my success/failure.

HP Recommended

No dice! 

The automated system rerouted me to the chat with the virtual support that suggests the HP community for help or the option of paying $50/hr of support or $14.95/mo. Never thought it would be this complicated!

HP Recommended

OK, Now if you will do as I ask, I can help you out. HP does not have images documented for that particular model and I just need to make sure its full ATX compatible.

Will you take a picture of the back of the PC where the power supply screws are and let me verify the pattern?

Post the image here in the forum using the camera icon above the text box when you reply.

Thanks

HP Recommended

PSU.JPGPSU 2.JPG

HP Recommended

Although I could see the photos, now it seems like it didn't work. I'm on it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.