Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Reverb Virtual Reality G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I've joined the ranks of the "Reverb G2  4-1 club" and am the latest owner of a 700 paper weight.

In my parallel pursuits to a remedy  I've tried every USB port on my motherboard (Maximus XII Hero Wifi), including the USB Gen2.2 socket and to no avail. I've tried a PCIE SuperSpeed card  along with several powered USB 3.0 hubs and still nojoy. So, as I try and try to register my G2 (site claims the registration function is down) and get HP directly invloved, I came across this possible issue ....

Here's a my Device Manager .... Is this indicating that my G2 is in fact connected to ... something other than my highspeed hub? .... Or am I grasping at straws?

Thanks all!

stay safe! 

HHUGGINS Device Manager 01282021.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Disable power management for the USB device by right clicking the USB device in the "Device Manager". Select "Properties" after the right mouse click and navigate the tabs you see to disable the USB power management.  Ok it. Now disconnect  the headset completely,  reboot and try again. 

SteamVR also has a USB device power management disable option within the hamburger menu that appears after you launch SteamVR. It's in the developer section.

I posted some troubleshooting information here which may help too.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Accessories/General-Troubleshooting-Post-HP-Reverb-G2-WMR/m-p/7...

HP Recommended

HP needs to look into this deeper, I got the same question. Got a new headset, (this my 2nd one after the first got RMA on the speakers). Worked for a second and then after a computer reboot there it was... Error 4-1 check your usb, you need a 3.0 superspeed connection..

So what I did was using a PCI-E 3.1 slot in my computer. This because the ASUS X570 Prime got issues connecting it to the mainboard itself (HP also needs to fix that still). 

After connecting it to the PCI-E card I found out the sound was working, but no white light on the device and no display but only error 4-1. So bought to make sure it is not a faulty controller an external 3.1 USB hub with SS USB ports. A device my friend uses on his reverb G2 in combination with his x570 mainboard and it works perfectly.

In the next example 

Using USB Tree view I can see what is going on. I have got my USB 3.0 SS hub connected to the USB3.0 controller on my mainboard.

As soon as you connect your device it connects all 3 devices to the USB 2.1 HUB.  So Port 1/2/3 are used in this case. Where port 1 is not SS but HIGHSPEED.

What it should do is show up in the SuperSpeed section on port 7 because that is the place it is physically connected to. But no matter wich USB 3 port on my computer I connect it to, it keeps showing up in the wrong USB hub.

In my friends example who has no issues he can confirm that his port 2 and 3 are used for audio and hid but then his "2 x HID" is connected to its physical location with is the superspeed usb hub. 

So please HP fix your issues, you have a major problem with your devices. There must be something wrong with your USB cable that got in the package with the headset 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-28 at 19.31.22.jpeg

HP Recommended

HP needs to look into this deeper, I got the same question. Got a new headset, (this my 2nd one after the first got RMA on the speakers). Worked for a second and then after a computer reboot there it was... Error 4-1 check your usb, you need a 3.0 superspeed connection..

So what I did was using a PCI-E 3.1 slot in my computer. This because the ASUS X570 Prime got issues connecting it to the mainboard itself (HP also needs to fix that still). 

After connecting it to the PCI-E card I found out the sound was working, but no white light on the device and no display but only error 4-1. So bought to make sure it is not a faulty controller an external 3.1 USB hub with SS USB ports. A device my friend uses on his reverb G2 in combination with his x570 mainboard and it works perfectly.

In the next example 

Using USB Tree view I can see what is going on. I have got my USB 3.0 SS hub connected to the USB3.0 controller on my mainboard.

As soon as you connect your device it connects all 3 devices to the USB 2.1 HUB.  So Port 1/2/3 are used in this case. Where port 1 is not SS but HIGHSPEED.

What it should do is show up in the SuperSpeed section on port 7 because that is the place it is physically connected to. But no matter wich USB 3 port on my computer I connect it to, it keeps showing up in the wrong USB hub.

In my friends example who has no issues he can confirm that his port 2 and 3 are used for audio and hid but then his "2 x HID" is connected to its physical location with is the superspeed usb hub. 

So please HP fix your issues, you have a major problem with your devices. There must be something wrong with your USB cable that got in the package with the headset 

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-28 at 19.31.22.jpeg

thx

HP Recommended

You stated this ..

"After connecting it to the PCI-E card I found out the sound was working, but no white light on the device and no display but only error 4-1."

That points to the data cable or power brick not the headset. If you RMA the first headset and got another one with the same result the issue does not appear to be the headset.

Did they send you a new cable too after RMA ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.