Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

That's excellent news!

Hopefully a few days actually means a few days. I'm sure they're swamped with the Windows 10 rollout but the issue really should have been ironed out when it was noted in early tech previews.

It's good to see fellow Omen owners working together to keep software and drivers updated! Sometimes OEMs forget about their products after a couple of months but HP seems to be keeping track of us so far.

Maybe with this (hypothetical) driver update they'll include a way to let us control the exhaust fan lights (the mystical "Zone 8") so we don't embarrass ourselves at the local coffee shop. A man can dream.

HP Recommended

Same problem, Hope there is a solution soon. Regards

HP Recommended

The fan lights may require a firmware (BIOS/UEFI) update as well, I hope that HP updates the software soon.

HP Recommended

Same issue and Omen Controller completely disappeared too.

HP Recommended

their story:
"Working closely with Microsoft we designed all our 2015 products to be ready for Windows 10," said Mike Nash, HP's Vice President of Product Management for the Consumer PC.

my story;
Our HP computer was bought at the beginning of this year, but still then being a "2015" machine. So is it ready for Windows 10? Not at all. Afer upgrading, half the computer's features don't work. Am waiting for the HP Co. to update their drivers or whatever, but... when? They had months in advance knowing the W10 was coming, but plainly just sat on it for this machine, called HP Omen. Furher irony it is I believe their most expensive laptop, and the company might at least have given some attention to it.

ps. A poster above said he was told that a fix is coming in a few days. Don't know what is the authority for that, but if it came from one of the telephone reps, it likely has the same validity as "the check is in the mail."

HP Recommended

Juste(sic.) had someone of the Support on a chat session, HP will release new Windows 10 drivers in few days.

By coincidence, spoke to the same person in the chat room, and she said the HP Co. was opening a branch office on the moon. It seemed incredible, but then again you never know.

HP Recommended

I just purchased a new 2015 refurbished PC.  It worked great with Windows 8.1.   Upon installing Windows 10, The Omen control did not work as well as the fan.  Really - hardware failure.  Give us a break.  So, I went back to Windows 8.1.

Also this year, I purchased an Envy X2.  This PC included a bluetooth keyboard that kept detatching.  Again - REALLY, the keyboard doesn't work.  That's a pretty important part of the PC.  I searched the forum for answers and all I found was the same old line that HP was working on it.  I found meesages over a year old that had this same  problem. So, back it went to Best Buy.  I used to really like HP computers, but now, I can't say that anymore.

So, do I trust HP to fix this in a timely manner, NO.  Why - because they had to know about this issue alrady for quite a while.  And, they did not fix it.  I really hope they prove me wrong.!!

I will give them 1 more week to fix it.  After that, the PC will be returned.  And HP PCs will be off my scratched off my list, except maybe the HP Spectre X360.  To my amazement, I am even considering a MacBook Pro. 

Funny thing - the Spectre X360 is supposed to be a great laptop,  But, Microsoft was heavily involved in the design process.  That is certainly not an HP confidence buider.

HP - THIS IS YOUR TIME TO "STEP UP TO THE PLATE" and fix this mess.  TImes like these are opportuniies to win over customers or loose customers to the competiion.  I really want to keep this PC.  It is by your response to this problem that will determine the outcome.

HP Recommended

That's a lot of hyperbole for one benign application acting up after a massive OS release.

To HP's credit, everything else on my Omen seems to be working well if not even slightly better than with 8.1 (knock on wood). Am I the only one with an overall positive experience in that regard? Have other owners been having trouble with software/driver issues besides Control and Central Operations?

The problem here isn't lack of interest in supporting its customer base, the issue is that HP is a bulk manufacturer and developer. There are a dozen different versions of the Omen alone, all with slightly different configurations. Besides the Omen, HP's got an entire microcosm of new and old laptops, hybrids, tablets, etc. that were (and are) going to be updated to Windows 10. Many of them were updated on the same day.

There was bound to be some hiccup during the rollout and, in a way, I'm glad it was something silly like the keyboard lights and not something serious like, you know, a display driver or the SATA enterface.

Since none of us are programers, the placations of their customer service reps are all we have to work with right now and I agree that they're small consolation. I think we'll just have to keep reminding them that the problem still exists and make further judgements about their support after the driver updates inevitably come.

HP Recommended

To those using this Gaming laptop for gaming.  BE CAREFUL!  I was playing Mechwarrior Online shortly after Omen Control when offline.   My fan speed is stuck on normal.  And it's not enough to dump the heat.  My machine gets HOT while running that game!  It got warm when I had the fans set to high.  So yeah.  I can cope without the cool lights and such.  But risking thermal damage to my computer?  A computer that's supposed to be for gaming?   No I think it's pretty darn important to get this issue fixed ASAP!  They should have had it worked out before release!  I wonder how many other users are going to have their CPU/GPU slag on them due to this oversight!?

Yes.  Windows 10 seems great!  I'm enjoying it thus far.  Features are wonderful.  So good on Microsoft for a great product! HP however.... come on guys.  This IS important!  I can't use my computer to do what it was designed to do..

I've got this computer on a cooling pad with a fan on it to help.  And I'm not running that game untill I get this issue fixed.  

Like I said.  Cool lights I can do without...  I'd like them back... but it's the cooling issue that really has me worried here.  I just had my computer replaced under warranty with this machine.  I do not want to have to go through support hell again waiting for another unit.  I want the one I have to work they way they said it should!

HP Recommended

I doubt any other OEM is having better luck with Windows 10 right now for the same reasons as HP. Too many models and hardware configurations to support efficiently.

As much as it pains me to admit: Macbooks are awesome specifically because of their tight software/hardware implementation. Not to say that they never have issues after OS updates, just that they're better equipped to deal with them. So, no one could blame you for jumping ship.

As for the Spectre X360, there's some anecdotal info floating around about overheating, which could be poor user practices or a serious problem. Who knows? That's the thing about shopping for Windows laptops/hybrids, there's always some compromise or fault that you have to take into account. It's a trying process.

I agree that this is an important moment for the Omen brand. HP's actions will be very telling of how invested it is in the enthusiast market going forward.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.