Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@ Paper_Birch

First, I am a programmer.  That is how I know that (usually)  you just cannot bang out a fix in a few days or even weeks. This should have been fixed already.  Someone from HP should (officially) inform us as to exactly what is going on and when we can expect a fix.  Acountability - Accountability - Accountability - Just let us know.  Is that asking too much.

Second, defining my comments as hyperbole and calling these benign problems -H'mm - the fan not working on the Omen and the keyboard not working on the Envy X2 is far from benign,  They both render the computer unusable. I call those serious issues and far from benign.

I do agree that many issues will arise in a rollout of a new operating system.  I can deal with those.     

Only time will tell.  It has already been a fLet's wait

HP Recommended

@User_BCH

That hyperbole remark was meant for pnj talking about vice presidential promises and moon bases. I guess the "reply" buttons don't really reply to their parent comments. Maybe HP should add that to the stuff they need to fix.

In any case: no shade, mate.

Speaking strictly from my own personal experience, the keyboard and fans are working just fine (for now at least). So I consider my encounter with HP's drivers benign but still something to get on their radar.

If you are having issues that impact your machine's performance or usability, obviously that's a different argument and you have every right to be frustrated. Judging by the number of other posts on these forums referencing Windows 10 and stuff ceasing to work, you're not alone.

Interesting bit of info is that the Omen Control application seemed to have worked in the developer preview of Windows 10 up until Build 10122, which was released towards the end of May and affected "the way Windows handles default apps". I defer to your experience as a programmer. Would 2-ish months be enough to tackle a problem like this? I'm genuinely curious what the turnaround is for this kind of driver/software development. Would they have wanted to wait for a stable release before investing hours into a solution?

And yes, information is definitely lacking. Where are their reps? This thread alone has over 20 posts and not a word from an official.

HP Recommended

@ Paper_Birch

Sorry,  my mistake about the original post that you were referring to,

Thanks for the info about the build number that started failing.

Does you "FN-F" key press work to change your fan speed?

If HP would just tell us that they promise to fix the problems, I would be OK with that. I would just stay with Windows 8.1 until the fix came out   As a programmer, I purchased this PC for the new features of Windows 10 along with the new version of Visual Studio 2015.

I have a limited time to return the PC.  So, if I cannot be sure the HP will fix this, I have to return the PC.

@HP -  What is the harm of telling your customers that you plan to fix these problems.  Sllence is not accetable.  You have customers that put their trust in you by handing over their hard-earned money for your products. 

HP Recommended

Overheating? Seriously? I've used this machine for some CUDA intensive tasks and it stays under 80C! And I had the fan speed on the slowest setting before updating to Windows 10...

HP Recommended

guys after official win10 upgrade i see the hp omen control icon, but when i open it i only see three apps in 

1- hp recovery manager

2- hp support asistance

3- geforce experience

where is the fourth one that lets me change keyboard lights

please help

HP Recommended

You can use the HP Support Assistant to reinstall the original HP Omen Control.

1. Open HP Support Assistant,
  2. Select "Storage Backup and Recovery"
  3. On the next screen, select "Recovery" and then select "HP Recovery"
  4. On the "Recovery Manager" screen,  select "Reinstall drivers and/or applications"
  5. Finally, check off the "HP Omen Control" and click on the "Install" button.

HP Recommended

Another thing worth mentioning is that the OMEN Control software takes 16% of the CPU on Windows 10! At least it's not running in the background all  the time...

HP Recommended

Woke the notebook up today to find that the touchpad no longer worked. No amount of driver recovery and installation helped as the system just stopped recognizing the touchpad hardware for whatever reason.

Had to get some assistance via HP tech chat, which worked fairly well. The tech ended up updating the BIOS (which is strange because I stay on top of manufacturer updates and saw no new ones from HP Support Assistant).

Long story short: my touchpad works just fine again but the new BIOS erased my (tasteful) keyboard color scheme and reverted to the default red. The update did nothing for Omen Control. It's still completely stuck and now I have to deal with the speaker grill and power button lights on all the time, haha! Apparently, they're not included with the other key zones, so even if you use fn+f5, they'll still stay lit.

I asked the tech about it and he seemed to believe that this is a Windows 10 issue, not an HP driver problem and suggested we wait a few days until the next Windows update. Not sure I understand how that could be the case but that's all we got.

@User_BCH

I tried using the Recovery solution for Omen Control but it didn't help. The application is still completely unresponsive for me.

HP Recommended
@Paper_Birch wrote:

HP OMEN Control no longer works after the recent Windows 10 update.

Profile switching, keyboard LED colors, zones, fn key options, etc. no longer respond at all. I've found references to this issue during Windows 10 beta testing.

Is there a temporary workaround? Will there be a driver update to remedy this problem?

Thanks.

Omen Control is now working with no issues on Windows 10 after updating the System Event Utility driver released earlier today.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update, working for me now as well.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.