Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
25x
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

25x 144Hz monitor keeps going black on windowed borderless games.

Sometimes it's ok but most of the time when trying to play it'll just go black when I move the mouse, it works fine for other purposes such as web browsing.

It's still connected when it goes black, windows recognises a monitor there and I still get audio feedback when moving the mouse around.

I'm using the correct driver, my GPU driver is up to date and am connected via a display port

This happens if the monitor is 144Hz or 120Hz, however if I update the Hz it should use while the game is open it stops going black

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@brantodb01 Here's a few steps that should help:

Go to your Windows display settings, hit the Advanced Display settings button at the bottom of the page. Under the monitor listing, hit Display adapter properties for display #. In the pop up hit the monitor tab, and change the drop down menu to 144Hz.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That's how I got the monitor to run at 144Hz or 120Hz, but the problem is that the screen goes black while playing games at these Hz

If I change the Hz while the game is open it fixes it but only for that session, is there anything I can do to make it so I don't have to use this work around every time I want to play a game?

HP Recommended

@brantodb01 If that's what you've been doing all along and you are being forced to do it each time you need to use a game, you may want to check the device with an alternate monitor to identify the cause of the failure, and let me know how that goes.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah it's definitely just this monitor for whatever reason. Is there something I can do to fix it or is it best to just return it?

HP Recommended

@brantodb01 It's best you get yourself a replacement, let me know how that goes,

Have a good day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.