cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ChristianA35
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

8 GB of ram but only 6 usable

HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion 690-0013w Gaming Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this gaming pc a couple of days ago and it was factory reset by the last owner, when I went to see the spec I noticed it says (6GB Usable) when I have a total of 8 GB. I read some articles and they said the other 2 GB could be reserved for the integrated graphics card which I believe isn’t being used. Sorry I don’t know much about computers but i’m tryin to be as detailed as possible. I tried to open BIOS and got to “HP Utility Support” or something like that. I can’t seem to use all 8 GB, any help is very appreciated  

3 REPLIES 3
Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,557
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ChristianA35 

I know where you're going as this has been discussed by others also with that particular series.

The system is hardware allocating 2GB of memory by default.

HP put out a bios update that helped alleviate some of the memory loss that helps about 50%.

You have the

• HP name: Sunflower motherboard
  • SSID: 8433

If you have not done so yet, update your bios with this file...

BIOS Version: F.31 Rev.A     sp96365.exe  (12.5 MB)

That is the best I can offer for the problem. Otherwise you would have to contact HP Support for warranty issues.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ChristianA35
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi I used your advice and it did more bad than good. It didn’t work and now my pin to sign in doesn’t work and I can’t play games that I bought with xbox, it messed with my microsoft account.. 

Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,557
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't see how that's possible as its a bios update and does not install on, or alter your Microsoft Acct or Windows.

If your MS account is changed, you have something else going on. A bios updates does not alter that.

If its a Microsoft User Account (not a local account) that you sign in with, that can be changed from any computer.

Here is the link to change your MS User Acct password...

https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation