Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday morning, I turned on my computer and found that my computer was doing something it's never done before. It started doing something that it called a Bios update. "Okay, whatever...." I thought. Brushed it off as just another automatic update. But once the update finished, my computer rebooted, and now my computer can't detect my boot device.

My computer came with Intel Optane, but I disabled that and replaced Optane with an SSD. So, Optane can't be the issue. I've checked my bios and reset the boot order in my bios to defaults, which didn't work. I've tried enabling legacy boot, to no avail. I've scoured Google, tried all the troubleshooting advice, and nothin worked. Maybe someone who uses HP has had the same issue or at least knows how to fix it, without having to ship it off to the manufacturer for repairs (because I'm pretty sure my upgrades voided the warranty on my computer). 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @christianosusan 

I see this every once in a while now ever since Microsoft is pushing HP updates through windows updates. Unfortunately we have NO choice in the matter as we cannot pick and choose the updates anymore.

I hate that Bios updates are being pushed this way now. If they fail, they can brick your motherboard!!! 😠

There are only a couple things I know of that "might help".

1. Go into the bios and Reset it completely. F10 to reset and don't skip the step to Save it.
  2. If no joy, unplug the power cord and open the case. Remove the CMOS motherboard battery for 10 minutes and then reinstall it. Or use the jumper method.
  3. Sometimes you can rebuild the boot record with a tool like Minitool Partition Wizard, but its a paid software and not worth it if it doesn't work.

ULTIMATELY, you will probably need to backup any data files if you haven't done so already. You will have to remove the drive and connect it to another PC to do this. Then reinstall Windows to the SSD drive. You can use the HP Cloud recovery method which requires a 32GB usb flash drive, or the generic  Create media Windows 10 method with an 8GB drive.

With the Windows media method, do a Clean install by deleting all the partitions before letting the install process continue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.