Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-124no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I am planning to change my cpu from i5 6400 2.7 Ghz to a i7 6700k 4.2 Ghz. But my worry is that am I able to change that without any problems and can I use the same fan from the i5 on the i7. Cause the i7 does not include cpu fan. Do I need to reboot my bois the i7 one once I install it?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @david_02 

Looking up the specs for that series, both the i5 65W and i7 95W came with the same heat-sink so you should be OK, just make sure to monitor your temperatures.  You will have to use new paste of course. Note that you wont be able to overclock that K version.

Before you upgrade, Its OK to go into the bios and reset it back to Default. If its an older version, update it....  Version A0.59  sp85454.exe

HP Recommended

thanks for the fast repsond, so just to clearify. Is it important that I update the bios or can I just install the new cpu without bois update? 

HP Recommended

If you are leery of updating the bios, go ahead and wait. But if you have the original bios still, there were some security updates that you would really want to have. Its up to you.

HP Recommended

Ohh ok so its just a security thing not that my pc wont start.

HP Recommended

Information provided by my worthy forum participant is not exactly correct I'm afraid.

You will need to upgrade system cooler even though heatsink can remain the same. Compare your configuration:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=Z3H45EA

With - for example - this one, based on 6700K:

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=Y4L09EA

You will have spotted this line at the end section:

796061-001Cooler - ID15 Skylake 92W, Ariia

Alas! You have probably slim chances in obtaining this HP-branded, dedicated one - and it will be expensive either - so you need to find another one elsewhere. And this task won't be easy as HP parts are non-standard. and have non-standard spacing.

Therefore check this thread for completeness - and do not get confused by some initial misinformation there though!

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Upgrading-from-i5-to-i7/td-p/6402019

(I'm in the same boat, thinking about upgrading at some point, but have not fully decided if I go for -K, or normal i7 version).

HP Recommended

Yes, there are a few different part numbers that will have small discrepancies between them, but they are rated at 95W either way. No matter if its called a cooler or heat sink. The difference in cooling will not amount to much. Ergo the point I was making above was that if the user is wanting to save money, then try what he has first and monitor the temps. If the cooling is not adequate enough, I would look for a better name brand solution anyways.  😉

HP Recommended

Cooler is a cooler, and heat sink is heat sink.

I supplied evidence that 6700K configuration by HP has stronger, dedicated 95W cooler contained - which implies that the standard one would not cope with the heat.

And this has been confirmed by the chap in this post in the thread I linked earlier:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Upgrading-from-i5-to-i7/m-p/7208108/highlight/true#M67...

Just a heads  up to anyone interested in doing this: You will need a new CPU cooler, the stock one will be too weak.

Thus I find your suggestion with try and buy approach a bit too risky in this case.

HP Recommended

@krzemien  you would argue with me all day no matter what I say here on the forum. I get it what you're doing. 😉

And Intel stock coolers will also not be a great as a more custom solution either, fair enough. But since you cant overclock, those stock coolers still manage to work. But your suggestion that Im offering risky advice implies Im having the OP do something that would damage his system and that is simply not true.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.