Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk Gaming PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having problems with my desktop's networking devices. (Omen Obelisk i7-8700, 16GB ram, RTX 2080)

System updated last night and now I cannot connect to the internet. It does not seem to find the wireless module. It won't find local networks, and now tells me to connect an ethernet cable, except for I cannot do that at this time.

I did see that there was a BIOS upgrade last night too as I was restarting it and going to bed... Maybe this had something to do with it?

EDIT:

I just looked at my network properties, and under both Bluetooth Network Connection and Wi-Fi, it reads Status: Not Present. Does this mean that the wireless adapter broke/is no longer functional?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ymao , welcome to the forum.

What is the full model of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information.

Before you provide the information that I requested, I would like you to go into the "Device Manager (Right click on Start (Windows logo lower left corner)/Network adapters" and select your wireless adapter.  Right click on it and select Update driver/Search automatically for updated driver software.  It should install the driver and you should have wifi.

Here is what the Device Manager will look like:

Capture.PNG

My wireless adapter is the AC 9560.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ymao , welcome to the forum.

What is the full model of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information.

Before you provide the information that I requested, I would like you to go into the "Device Manager (Right click on Start (Windows logo lower left corner)/Network adapters" and select your wireless adapter.  Right click on it and select Update driver/Search automatically for updated driver software.  It should install the driver and you should have wifi.

Here is what the Device Manager will look like:

Capture.PNG

My wireless adapter is the AC 9560.

HP Recommended

@Old_geekster, thank you for the welcome and informative post.

My computer model number is: HP OMEN 875-0024.

What I had done yesterday was I did the system recovery to a recovery point 5 days prior (9/25/19), it uninstalled all of the updates that had come in the day before and my wireless adapter is functional again.

Now I am afraid of doing the same Windows update that the computer is telling me that I need, once again...

HP Recommended

@ymao 

I'm curious,

If you go into Windows Updates and click on View Update History, do you see a Quality Update that is called Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 (KB4515384) ?

If not, your rollback to a restore point removed it. Its been said this update is breaking lots of functionality including WiFi cards and network issues.

You can put your updates on hold temporarily...

Go to All Settings/Updates and Security/Advanced Options/Pause updates and set a date.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002, it's gone now, so probably was that update that messed things up.

Thank you both for your assistance. I will definitely put updates on hold for a while.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ymao!

It is probably a good idea to hold updates to see what happens with your wifi.  I always install one update at a time to assure that I know which update causes a problem, if there is one.  This was one of the earliest protective measure that I learned in my early days with computers.  It saves a lot of frustration.

As you see, we work as a team on the Forum, @Photoray002.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

@old_geekster  Yes indeed.

That Windows update is responsible for several issues and also includes causing Audio issues.

MS really screwed the pooch with that one. Its causing WiFi issues in my system with random drops but I cannot remove the update. Restore points is the only way to remove a Cumulative update and mine doesn't have a point far enough back to reverse it.  😠

Also: MS came out with another Cumulative update since that one, but it did fix the issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.