Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP VR Backpack G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know how to get the HTC Vive Pro working with this new generation of "VR" backpack? In a stunning stroke of brilliance, HP has decided NOT to include the required cables to actually get VR working on this "VR" backpack. It says "cable sold separately" in the manual, but it does not actually seem to be for sale anywhere I can find.  This backpack costs nearly $5,000 CAD and doesn't come with the cables to actually use VR, what the heck was HP thinking?

They also decided to change the DC port size as well so we can't use use an off the shelf plug from an older Vive HMD or even use the cables that came with our gen 1 HP VR backpacks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We were able to get it working by ordering a correctly sized barrel plug from AliExpress and cutting the plug off our wall adapter for the link box. It's a simple DC power line that only needs to carry 1.5A, so its not a very difficult cable to make. Since we are using the backpack, we didn't mind sacrificing the wall adapter to harvest it's barrel plug. But if you don't want to do that, you can order a standard 3.5mm X 1.35mm barrel plug to go into the link box (but it will be a lose fit, as the linkbox actually uses a non-standard 3.8mm X 1.35mm barrel plug). Then we just soldered the two barrel plugs together and heat shrunk the wire to keep everything protected. Now we can finally use the G2 with a Vive Pro. 

The whole thing cost us like $5 to make, with shipping. It's absolutely ridiculous that we needed to do this and it is mind-boggling that the cable isn't just included in the box of this $5,000 backpack. 

Screenshot_5.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Mike643191324 Greetings from the HP Community!

Here's a video that explains exactly how to set up the VR Backpack: click here to watch (if you've already done that and yet find that there's something missing) please send a screenshot of the manual and exactly which cable are you referring to? if its the USB Type-C cable, well that entirely depends on the user and how he/she wishes to connect the device and so, that isn't sold with the device, as mentioned in this link if you've got everything shown in the image below, you should be able to set up the device:

If there's a specific part you wish to order, simply use the service and maintenance guide to find the part and order the same using the HP parts store, or any local online store as the part numbers are universal.

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this does not solve the problem. 

The video you linked does not explain how to connect a HTC Vive Pro to the backpack, it explains how to connect an Windows Mixed Reality HMD to the backpack (the required cable for that is also not included in the box by the way). 

"(if you've already done that and yet find that there's something missing) please send a screenshot of the manual and exactly which cable are you referring to? "

The manual does NOT list the exact part number that is required, it simply says "attach the virtual reality headset and VR cables (purchased separately) to the computer. 

Screenshot_1.jpg

"if you've got everything shown in the image below, you should be able to set up the device"

You are incorrect, you are not able to setup the device with everything shown in the image. The HTC Vive Pro requires you to power the Linkbox. The backpack as the required power port but does NOT include the cable to plug INTO that power port. The G2 backpack, as compared to the G1 backpack, also changed the SIZE of this power port so the cables (that came with the G1) do not fit. 

Screenshot_2.jpg

"If there's a specific part you wish to order, simply use the service and maintenance guide to find the part and order the same using the HP parts store, or any local online store as the part numbers are universal."

The only cable listed on that service and maintenance guide is for the HTC Vive not the HTC Vive Pro. On top of that, the listed cable ISN'T EVEN COMPATIBLE with the G2 backpack! The HP ZVR Backpack combination cable (part number L20517-001) has two HDMI ports (not on the G2 backpack) and the power cable does not fit into the HMD power port on the G2 backpack. On top of that, the price of that cable is listed at $195 CAD! 

Screenshot_4.jpg

What we need is a power cable that does the following things:
1) One end that fits into the new plug size for the HMD Power Power that HP decided to change on the G2 backpack

2) The other end that fits into the Vive Pro Linkbox so we can power it

At the moment, I'm currently researching the plug sizes so I can order the missing required parts from AliExpress and build my own cable because HP, as far as I can tell, does not actually sell this cable. It boggles my mind that a backpack that is suppose to be designed for VR and costs nearly $5,000 CAD requires this level of jumping through hoops to get working. HP needs to be better and include the required cables in the box. 

HP Recommended

@Mike643191324 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

We were able to get it working by ordering a correctly sized barrel plug from AliExpress and cutting the plug off our wall adapter for the link box. It's a simple DC power line that only needs to carry 1.5A, so its not a very difficult cable to make. Since we are using the backpack, we didn't mind sacrificing the wall adapter to harvest it's barrel plug. But if you don't want to do that, you can order a standard 3.5mm X 1.35mm barrel plug to go into the link box (but it will be a lose fit, as the linkbox actually uses a non-standard 3.8mm X 1.35mm barrel plug). Then we just soldered the two barrel plugs together and heat shrunk the wire to keep everything protected. Now we can finally use the G2 with a Vive Pro. 

The whole thing cost us like $5 to make, with shipping. It's absolutely ridiculous that we needed to do this and it is mind-boggling that the cable isn't just included in the box of this $5,000 backpack. 

Screenshot_5.jpg

HP Recommended

@Mike643191324 I know what you mean, and I thank you for the details, 

The same has been forwarded to the concerned team and they'll get back to you, shortly.

Look for a private message for more details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Can you please provide a phone number so we can have someone reach out to you.

Best regards,

Jeff Christopher 
Executive Escalations
I am an HP Employee 

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I've provided this information already, please just send me a message or email

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, no one from HP seems to know how to solve this problem BUT I've finally managed to figure out the HP Part Number that matches the cable. It's 5EC70AA. It looks like this is such a problem that a 3rd party company has stepped in to solve the problem for HP. If you don't want to DIY your own cable you can buy one here: https://tundra-labs.com/shop/vive-backpack-power

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.