Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lately, when I go to shut down my computer or put it so sleep I've been encountering errors. Often times, when I shut down the computer the system will shut down and the monitor will go black but the tower's fan and lights will remain operational. Also, when I put the computer to sleep the system will hang and become unresponsive but, again, the lights and fan will continue to run. Both of these errors result in me having to manually shut down the computer by holding the power button.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@BKirckof 

50% is a lot - something is preventing normal operations.

Desktops are not my area of expertise - I can offer a couple of solutions and places to check.

It is either hardware or software - of course, and there are a couple of places to check the software before you start testing the hardware.

Switch off / on Fast Start / Fast Boot

The "fast start" is made possible due to a stored database of the startup features that allow the computer to bypass the slightly slower method of starting the Operating System by reading that information from the disk.

If the database (stored information) becomes corrupt or is out-of-date (same results), the computer will have a hard time shutting down and perhaps starting, too.

The fix:  Switch OFF Fast Start - This deletes the stored startup database and forces the computer to start from the Operating System installed on disk. 

NOTE: If you miss saving that extra few seconds when booting the computer, Fast Start can be switched (back) ON later.

Settings   > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings >

Choose what the power button does >

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable >

Remove Check (clear box) Turn on fast startup (recommended) >

Save

• Close programs (browsers, games, email, etc) and close any open windows

Windows key + X (opens a command list) > Click / Select Command Prompt (Admin) >

When the command window opens, type the following command and hit Enter:

shutdown /s /t 0

• Wait for the computer to shut down completely (a few seconds)
  • Boot the computer > Log in > Wait around for a couple of minutes (yes, wait, do not rush) >
  • Try shutting down the notebook from Windows key > Power

If all now works as expected, and you want to continue using Fast Boot,

Switch ON the fast boot / fast startup setting (optional)

Reliability Report

Although this cool reporting tool has been around for quite a while, it might be overlooked because it is hiding in an unlikely spot in the Operating System.

The degree that the report / monitor can help you depends on whether whatever is going on is something about which the computer is aware.  The report is not quite the in-depth tool as is the Event Viewer - the Report is generally easier to read and interpret and is a good place to start looking.

Windows 7:

Control Panel > set icon view > Action Center

Windows 10:

Control Panel > set icon view > Security and Maintenance >

Under Maintenance > Open the Drop Down Menu >> Click on View Reliability Report

Method to start the Reliability Report software using Command Prompt

Open Admin cmd prompt

Windows key + X + (then) A

Type the command, followed by the "Enter" key

perfmon /rel

Information at a glance > Reliability Report

How to use Windows 10’s Reliability Monitor to fix and fine-tune your PC

Reliability Monitor is the Best Windows Troubleshooting Tool You Aren’t Using

==================================================================

Run Component Tests – How to

After you have done the obvious, that is, all your HP software and drivers are updated / installed and Windows Updates is current, and none of the tools you have used have given you any indication at all about the problem, then it may be time to check / test the hardware.

Contributed by  Wes_notebooks 

Testing for Hardware Failures

HP Document

HP PCs and Tablets - About UEFI and the Startup Menu

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

Open OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC series

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.