Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-114nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So everytime i start up my PC, there is a disk checking (:C) happening. Its not doing anything bad as of now but i would still be more comfortable with it being gone. How to get rid of it? Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Simon38

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Start the computer.

2. Use one of the following methods to enter the BIOS Setup utility:

• If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista or later), immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

• If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key . You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

3. Use the arrow keys to select a recognized hard disk drive device in the list and press Enter.

4. Select SMART Support and press Enter.

5. Select one of the following hard disk drive device tests:

• SMART Status Check: Checks the status of the hard disk drive SMART status. Displays whether SMART support is enabled or disabled.

• SMART Short Self-Test: Runs a short self-test on the hard disk drive.

• SMART Extended Self-Test: Runs an Extended self-test on the hard disk drive. This may take some time.

6. Press Enter to start the test.

7. The test begins and the test status displays.

8. Press Esc when the test is complete.

CAUTION: If the test fails, copy the data on the hard disk drive and replace the hard disk drive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Okay so i managed to get rid of it, however could anyone tell me why was it happening and why is / was my disk C: dirty and how to clean it? Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Simon38

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Start the computer.

2. Use one of the following methods to enter the BIOS Setup utility:

• If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista or later), immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

• If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key . You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

3. Use the arrow keys to select a recognized hard disk drive device in the list and press Enter.

4. Select SMART Support and press Enter.

5. Select one of the following hard disk drive device tests:

• SMART Status Check: Checks the status of the hard disk drive SMART status. Displays whether SMART support is enabled or disabled.

• SMART Short Self-Test: Runs a short self-test on the hard disk drive.

• SMART Extended Self-Test: Runs an Extended self-test on the hard disk drive. This may take some time.

6. Press Enter to start the test.

7. The test begins and the test status displays.

8. Press Esc when the test is complete.

CAUTION: If the test fails, copy the data on the hard disk drive and replace the hard disk drive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! It helped. Have a nice weekend and summer!!!

Šimon

HP Recommended

@Simon38

Thank you for posting back. 

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.