Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP 280 G2 MT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, from the start, I wish to state clearly that I know little of what I'm talking about. It's a new area for me so please go easy on me if I say anything stupid or incorrect.

Here is the description:

Part 1: I have HP 280 G2 MT computer. It has no Display port and no HDMI port. It only has DVI and VGA ports. And I have HP 27x monitor with only HDMI port and Display port. I was able to find a temporary fix for this problem by using a VGA to HDMI adapter which I plugged on my computer and used a HDMI cable to plug the adapter end to the monitor. This setup works just fine but with only one exception: My HP 27x monitor is one of those monitors with maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz at 1920 x 1080 resolution. Using a VGA to HDMI adapter means that I can only do 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz at most. I would like to go to as high as 144Hz (since my monitor is capable and what’s the point of having all that refresh rate if you don’t use it right?).

Part 2: I did my research online and decided the GeForce GTX 1080 was adequate for my graphic design work and occasional gaming. However, I identified a number of potential problems. My computer has a PSU rating of 180W but GTX 1080 has a suggested PSU rating of 450W according to this website. The same website says that the GTX 1080 uses a dual slot which I am not sure if my HP 280 G2 MT has but I will open the casing and check.

Here is the questions:

1. Will buying a graphics card with a Display port output solve the 144 Hz problem?

2. If I replace my current PSU with one rated 450W, will it work or are there other problems that will arise after that?

Thank you very much!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Will try to assist using data for your PC available at this (Link).

The 1080 occupies two slot on the MB. This means any obstruction on the MB which interferes with installing this card means it is not compatible. It looks like you can install a dual slot graphics card when reviewing the Illustrated Parts Guide (page 4) at the above link.

Now you must verify the 1080's length will work in the chassis. Microtower MBs and cases may not support a 1080. It also looks like you have a Gen. 1 PCIe x16 slot. A 1080 is a Gen. 3 part.

The replacement power supply problem you may encounter depends on how HP has configured the EPS and main MB power supply connections. The board appears to have standard 4 pin and 24 pin connections respectively. HP could modify pinouts on the connectors. A retail power supply may not work.

HP only offers a 300 watt PSU for this product.

Be prepared to experience upgrade problems.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your response. It sounds like the 1080 is not an option for me.

Would you please recommend a graphics card that would be compatible with this computer? (Even if I would have to upgrade a few components like the 300W PSU you mentioned.)

I would really like to do this upgrade so I can run graphic design software and for gaming purposes.

The second reason I want to buy a graphics card is that most graphic cards come with a Display port so that gives me a chance to use 144 Hz refresh rates. Is there any way a Display Port can added to the computer apart from getting a graphics card?

Thanks

HP Recommended

The 1080 would work if you don't get one that's too long like @Grzwacz  pointed out. You should be able to fit one that's approx 10.5-11 (26.6-28 cm) inches just fine.

Its good to be cautious to determine the compatibility on pin-outs I agree.  The 24 pin motherboard power connector will be standard pin-out. I've seen a few users upgrade those things just fine.

Here's a video from one guy up grading his. I assume this is what you have, correct?

But what CPU do you have currently? Two things to consider and this is just my personal opinion.

1. I wouldn't pair a 6th gen i3 dual core with a 1080 if you want to game (depending on the games of course). Waste of graphics card and price per performance.

2. Graphics cards are hard to come by right now. I wouldn't spend a scalpers price for a used 1080, but that's just me.

Using a DisplayPort for a high refresh monitor should solve your issue just fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding.

Yes, that is the computer that I  have and want to upgrade. My CPU is Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors. I agree with you about the availability of 1080s right now.

Based on the dimensions you provided, I believe there is enough space to fit a 1080 in there or anything about that size.

You know I am willing to buy a used 1080 or a 1070 if it's in good condition and is priced right. But would you be willing to suggest any other graphics card I could go with and which are hopefully easier to find than the 1080 right now?

"Using a DisplayPort for a high refresh monitor should solve your issue just fine." - This is why I am keen to buy a graphics card with a Display Port output. It takes care of my gaming and graphic design needs as well as the high refresh rate problem.

HP Recommended

You are subject to what ever you can find. If not NVIDIA, you might have to go with AMD like a Vega 56 or higher.

Its a sellers market right now.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Alright.

Thank you all for your time and detailed answers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.