Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0045na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey,

Firstly this PC is brand new, so any heat questions won't be due to dust. My CPU is liquid cooled and stays nice and cool on heavy to full load. No issues there! My GPU, the RTX 2080 Ti on full load rests at about 84c. While this temperature isn't dangerous, I wanted to cool my pc a little more because fan noise isn't an issue to me and cooler is better. Clicking the turbo option on the OMEN Command center fan options when my PC is on full load, PC gets louder, but no change in temperature for the GPU? I'm really confused as to why this is. Maybe like a 1c difference sometimes? Wish there was a way to customise what turbo meant in the command center, like setting your own higher fan speeds for the turbo mode. Should I be concerned? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@laurenharvey04 , welcome to the forum.

The maximum temperature for the RTX 2080 Ti is 89C.  Anything below this point is acceptable, but lower would be better.  I suggest that you download MSI Afterburner: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner 

You can go into the Settings, the Cog Wheel, in the lower left corner of the console and select the Fan Tab.  Click the box "Enable user defined software automatic fan control".  This will allow you to set a custom fan curve.  I use Afterburner to overclock my 2080, but I haven't used this feature.  Give it a try.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@laurenharvey04 , welcome to the forum.

The maximum temperature for the RTX 2080 Ti is 89C.  Anything below this point is acceptable, but lower would be better.  I suggest that you download MSI Afterburner: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner 

You can go into the Settings, the Cog Wheel, in the lower left corner of the console and select the Fan Tab.  Click the box "Enable user defined software automatic fan control".  This will allow you to set a custom fan curve.  I use Afterburner to overclock my 2080, but I haven't used this feature.  Give it a try.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

@Old_geekster Thank you so much! I was always a little hesitant to download MSI afterburner but I'm glad I did because the difference it made is genuinely incredible. I really don't know what HP were thinking when they made their fan control program on OMEN because it is useless compared to MSI Afterburner. Just setting it on auto before creating my own fan curves, and I was playing 4k Witcher 3 at a fantastically cool 71c. It sounded pretty loud but it doesn't bother me much due to decent headphones. I

l'll create a proper curve today, thank you so much for your help! 

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @laurenharvey04!

Please don't be to hard on HP.  They are making changes to their software every single day.  I suggest that you check periodically to see if there is a new version of OCC.  I believe your computer is new enough that any changes will help you a lot.

Good luck!

I wouldn't mind hearing from you in a few days to see how Afterburner is working.  It will help me with my problem solving in the future.  You can post in this thread and I will be notified.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.