Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
880-122na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just wondering if anyone upgraded their case fans and if it helped.  My system is a little louder than I'd like it to be, so I'm hoping some better case fans might give better airflow and keep things cooler - keeping the fans lower.  I think the main culprit is the GPU.  I think it's a reference card (1070), and I know they are single blower.  My performance isn't an issue, just want less noise.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

There is not much you can do to quiet a blower type GPU fan.

I think the rear chassis fan may be a 92 mm fan. You might be able to install a 120 mm fan there. You may be able to add a top fan. You may be able to add a front fan if one is not installed now.

But you need open fan headers on the motherboard or would have to add a PWM fan controller to add more chassis fans.

Adding a fan or installing a larger rear fan may improve chassis airflow thus reducing GPU temps and GPU fan speed.

Regards

HP Recommended

thanks, and i realize i can't do anything about the graphics card fan.  i was also thinking that maybe it will lower the temp and keep the fan from ramping up.  it does look like there are open fan headers to add some, but it doesn't seem like there is room to add - only replace.

HP Recommended

Hi K2focus,

I would refrain from doing any over clocking.

Other folks in this forum have had CPU and GPU temp issues with this HP chassis.

You need to remove the hot air from the chassis to reduce component temps.

A micro ATX chassis with only one rear 92 mm fan and no room for adding front or top fans will be a tough problem to solve.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.