Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I'm not hardware savvy or anything like that. But I do know I need an upgrade for my Omen 870-224. It's running a GTX1060 3GB and I want to upgrade to an RTX 2060 https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-06g-p4-2066-kr/p/N82E16814487488?nm_mc=otc-hatch&cm_mmc...

Will it fit and/or will I need to change anything else? I'm not sure if it needs something else to work.

Also might need to upgrade the CPU since it will help with CPU heavy games like Monster Hunter. But is there a specific one I would need to use? I know the max is an i7-7700, but is there a specific one?

I haven't had too much of an issue with wanting to play at high settings, but as I was playing Monster Hunter and realized how much I need to upgrade from the pre-built stuff.

I'd prefer any options that don't need me to upgrade other stuff to upgrade the CPU and GPU, but if it's not possible I will have to stick with what I have for a long time.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The graphics card in your post will work in your PC. This card requires a 500 watt power supply (you have this) and one eight pin PSU connection. Verify you have this, the power supply should have this connector.

The i7-7700 will also work in your PC. A i7-7700k has not been validated by HP for this MB.

It would not hurt to go from 8 GB of RAM to 16 GB of RAM. You may have two 4 GB sticks now. You would have to buy two 8 GB sticks if both memory slots are occupied.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks 🙂

I found this image of the inside of the same model PC.

https://imgur.com/oQFcjvX

Apparently it's a 6pin? Would I have to buy a new PSU? Or can i use some sort of adapter? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

It's hard to say, it looks like it could be an 6 + 2 pin.

This is what you need.

Remove the side panel on your PC to verify.

Regards

HP Recommended

It's definitely a 6 pin plus 2.

Also my cpu usage is at 100 percent when playing a CPU  heavy game like Monster Hunter. Would switching to a CPU like i7 7700 reduce the usage? I'm not sure how it works. 

I'm experiencing hitching and longer hanging when doing things. It'll freeze for like 10 seconds then resume. Is this due to the lower end CPU?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.