Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
690-0010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I’m planning to upgrade the ram in my gaming computer but before I do I want to know how I would be able to enable xmp for the best possible performance . If anyone o  no wow how of you would reply that would help greatly 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Sxelent , welcome to the Community.

HP doesn't add any XMP's to the BIOS/UEFI in your computer.  You will have to use the DDR4-2666 that comes with the computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sxelent , welcome to the Community.

HP doesn't add any XMP's to the BIOS/UEFI in your computer.  You will have to use the DDR4-2666 that comes with the computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Is that because they want it to be as least compatible as possible to make more money? And will I have to download software to over click the ram to its expected speed 

HP Recommended

@Sxelent 

As you can see, I am not an HP employee.  So, it is impossible for me to answer your question about their motive.  However, I don't recommend using any third-party apps to overclock the memory unless you are very computer savvy.  They can cause more problems than they will solve.

HP Recommended

Well do your think I should still upgrade my ram because this 8 gigs isn’t cutting it

HP Recommended

@Sxelent 

@Sxelent wrote:

Well do your think I should still upgrade my ram because this 8 gigs isn’t cutting it

Yes, most definitely.  Just buy the DDR4-2666 memory.  Here is the Product Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/model/21447498...

In the section titled "Memory/Memory upgrade information" you will find the information for the memory.  The maximum amount supported by your motherboard is 32 GB.  If you want to match the existing memory you should use CPU-Z to find the manufacturer and timings: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

This information is the Tab titled "SPD".  Since the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture, it is necessary to install the memory in matching pairs to get the best performance from it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.