Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

There is something wrong with the charging port on my omen laptop, it is a '15-ce000' model and that's all I know. Any time the charger is unplugged, the laptop turns off. Even if it is plugged in, sometimes the charging port overheats if I'm running any kind of program, and the whole thing shuts down. Not to mention the charger has also begun to become loose even when plugged in, making it even more difficult to just keep it plugged in and turned on, and it only remains on if the charger is plugged in at certain angles. I really want to get whatever is wrong with it fixed, because I really love this laptop, and I've got countless files from games, pictures, and more on it, many of which I wouldn't know how to properly move to another computer. It is my only coping mechanism in this life, and I want to get it fixed as soon as possible, but I need to know how much it will potentially cost me to have it repaired in the first place.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Then its prob the port, if you're good with soldering you can prob find one connector to replace the one there as it does sound like there's some loose connection within the connector. 

If not, try contacting HP directly for an authorized servicing center. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center

Good luck~

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check out Macrium Reflect for backups in case it can't be repaired or the cost is almost like buying a new system.

Its a very simple to use software to backup all your files and reload into a new computer. 

And if its just files (even game files) you can literally copy those over to a external HDD and just load them all into the respective folder for most of them. 

Good luck~

HP Recommended

I was more looking for potential cost of getting it fixed, rather than help with making back ups. I don't know where to look for repairs, and I don't exactly trust any of the shops in my town due to what prior customers have to say about them. Does HP even fix their own hardware? If anyone has any idea of what I'd be probably looking at in terms of cost for repairs, that would be great. If it's more than what I would pay for a new computer of equal worth to the old one, then I'll see about getting a new one.

HP Recommended

Based on your problem description, it sounds like you have a dead battery. Since pulling out the charging port would turn the computer off. I've had multiple HP laptops battery died on me and some within 3 months when i bought them brand new. The problem is if you leave it charging all the time when you're using the laptop, somehow the HP laptops doesn't know how to prevent the battery from cycling the charge and dies really fast (Lithium ion battery has a 500cycle life). 

A warm charging port is normal especially when you're using it. 

1. If you can see if you can purchase a battery to see if it resolves your problem. Hopefully you have a laptop that has a removable battery. 

2. If the charging port still charges the new battery you have got yourself a working laptop again. Now remember to pull the battery out before leaving it always charging. That would prolong the life. Put in the battery only when you want portability. 

The battery would prob cost $80-150 depending on the make and model. There are 3rd parties as well, just make sure you get reputable ones which uses battery from Korea or Taiwan. Not china. hehe... 

HP Recommended

I've replaced the battery twice and it still does this, I'm not so sure it's the main battery, at this point. Charging it only works from certain angles as well, as even tweaking the charger a little bit causes it to lose connection, so there's more wrong than just a faulty battery.

HP Recommended

Then its prob the port, if you're good with soldering you can prob find one connector to replace the one there as it does sound like there's some loose connection within the connector. 

If not, try contacting HP directly for an authorized servicing center. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center

Good luck~

HP Recommended

yeah that's what I was thinking it was. I don't know how to solder myself, so I came on here wondering if anyone ever had similar work done and how much it cost them, for an estimate for me. Thanks for sending this link though, I suck at navigating HP's site and wouldn't have been able to find it myself.

HP Recommended

Hahaha yeah its not the most user friendly layout... you would actually think that they are hiding the customer support page so you would just give up hahaa... 

you can also try this link as a starting point and maybe given them a call too. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.