Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavillion Gaming 690-xx24
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need help upgrading my parts on my computer because it drops to 60fps way to much my temps are 80 degrees and i thingk its my airflow gpu  and cpu that is causing my problem and i need immediate help upgrading it for my games and possible online schooling.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is your PC blue screening, locking up, rebooting, or otherwise acting up when you are gaming and you see 80 degree C temps?

A peak or random 80 degree C temp on a high end graphics card or a Intel or AMD CPU is tolerable when gaming. 80 degree  C temps at system idle or low loads is problematic.

A "no" would suggest your PC is operating within normal parameters.

Sixty frames per second is okay when running AAA games. Online schooling will not stress the graphics card or the CPU.

You may be worrying about nothing.

Regards

HP Recommended

Depending on what games you're playing, 60fps is plenty decent and also do you have a 120hz and above monitor?

If you think its the airflow issue, try opening up the side panel and let the air freely circulate to see if it helps with the tempertures. If it does, that means your air inlets are probably clogged with dust and all things furry. Clean the casing and the fan would help maintain the temp to optimal. 

80C is pretty normal for a Stock CPU Cooler. even 90c is acceptable for casual gaming. Why? because the temp limit is 100c. unless you're playing games 24/7 and sustaining it at 90c for 365 days a year you're good. 

HP Recommended

Yes I have a 144hz monitor and I recently added another 8gb of ram my pc doesn’t act up and idk if i should upgrade cpu or gpu.

HP Recommended

Yes I have a 144hz monitor and I recently added another 8gb of ram my pc doesn’t act up and idk if i should upgrade cpu or gpu.

HP Recommended

If your warranty is over you can try swapping out a CPU cooler tower to lower the temp by alot. The stock CPU cooler is really ... never mind. Check out noctua tower coolers and see which one suits your casing. Measure the available height you have and check out some videos to swap it out. Mine dropped from 90c to 75c on full load. just by swapping out that cooler. Then with additional fans in the casing i got it down to 70c.

Swapping out a "higher end" CPU would just give you pretty much the same heat issues. Not to mention you need to make sure your motherboard supports the newer Intel chips too. 

HP Recommended

I have the amd motherboard and my cpu is a 2400g with a rx 580

HP Recommended

You need a better CPU first, before upgrading the GPU.

HP Recommended

Should I get a 2600 and a 1660

HP Recommended

I would get the 2600. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.