Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 30L GT13-0942nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

I just unpacked my brand new HP Omen 30L GT13-0942nz ( Intel Core i9-10900K, 2x16GB ,Nvidia RTX 3080). As I also bought additional 2x16GB HyperX Fury RGB, DDR4, XMP, 3200MHz and faced the usual HP Omen 30L Memory timing XMP issues I found this discussion here https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/All-Omen-30L-Intel-Based-Owners-Very-Important-If-You-... talking about using the Intel XTU to fix the issues. However I just installed 7.0.14 of Intel XTU but I do not see any Memory sections ?!  Did HP blocked this somehow? Any idea how I can bring this back and enable the real XMP profile of my RAM's ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi all, thanks for all the warnings, however I'm not new to OC'ing  and I understand the risk. It's really bad what HP is doing regarding the memory, but anyway it was my decision to buy a preconfigure PC this time and not building it my self. It's the first and last time I did this, I was just too lazy and the 3080 deal was not too bad. Just to close this here, I was able to fix the Intel XTU issue not showing the memory sections:

"I found the issue of the missing Memory section, it's crazy. So when I installed Intel XTU 7.0.1.4  it also updated the Intel XTU Component Device Driver to 7.0.1.4 . After that even HP Omen Game Hub was no longer to see the Memory Overclock section. I rolled back the driver in the Device Manager to 6.5.2.38  and installed the older release of XTU 6.5.2.40 . After that the Memory tab was back in HP Game Hub and Intel XTU."

Right now I'm not sure if it was worth the effort, even within XTU the XMP profile for the HP-HyperX ram looks strange. It shows CL22-22-52 instead of the expected CL16-18-18. The entire reason for XTU was to set the HP Hyper X memory to the proper XMP timing so that I can add 2 additional non-HP Hyper X memory using the official XMP timings CL16-18-18. Now I'm not sure if it's worth to open the box of non-HP Hyper X memory or if I just should send it back and ask for the money back. 
This custom HP-HyperX ram is so stupid an I'm very angry about HP that this was not mentioned anywhere on the website that you can't add original Hyper X Ram. That ruins my entire Omen experience 😞

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@comlab1 , welcome to the forum.

XTU is developed by Intel.  HP has nothing to do with it.  You should go to XTU Tech Support page for help.  A word of warning!!  If you are going to use XTU to overclock your CPU and Memory use extreme CAUTION!!  I fried a HP motherboard using minimal settings and no major voltage increase.  My circumstance may have been an anomaly, but it is worth taking care if you do use it.  We never did figure out what went wrong.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

All that is true what the expert is saying, accept HP Omen Command Center / Hub is actually using Intel XTU (For Intel machines) and Ryzen Master (for AMD), so they are not using anything special or proprietary. 

My guess is probably HP are trying to block the latest Intel XTU versions somehow, give it a try with older version. At the beginning when the Omen 30L came out it was easy to just install and enable the XMP, but I haven't tried in a few months.

Best thing to do unfortunately is to pony up the money upfront and get the amount of memory that you need or can afford, otherwise it becomes an issue, not the smartest decision by HP to not give us a simple XMP enable/disable slider in the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

@comlab1, the difference in XTU and OCC is that HP has some protection built-in to OCC so it is not as easy to cause problems.  Just beware!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi all, thanks for all the warnings, however I'm not new to OC'ing  and I understand the risk. It's really bad what HP is doing regarding the memory, but anyway it was my decision to buy a preconfigure PC this time and not building it my self. It's the first and last time I did this, I was just too lazy and the 3080 deal was not too bad. Just to close this here, I was able to fix the Intel XTU issue not showing the memory sections:

"I found the issue of the missing Memory section, it's crazy. So when I installed Intel XTU 7.0.1.4  it also updated the Intel XTU Component Device Driver to 7.0.1.4 . After that even HP Omen Game Hub was no longer to see the Memory Overclock section. I rolled back the driver in the Device Manager to 6.5.2.38  and installed the older release of XTU 6.5.2.40 . After that the Memory tab was back in HP Game Hub and Intel XTU."

Right now I'm not sure if it was worth the effort, even within XTU the XMP profile for the HP-HyperX ram looks strange. It shows CL22-22-52 instead of the expected CL16-18-18. The entire reason for XTU was to set the HP Hyper X memory to the proper XMP timing so that I can add 2 additional non-HP Hyper X memory using the official XMP timings CL16-18-18. Now I'm not sure if it's worth to open the box of non-HP Hyper X memory or if I just should send it back and ask for the money back. 
This custom HP-HyperX ram is so stupid an I'm very angry about HP that this was not mentioned anywhere on the website that you can't add original Hyper X Ram. That ruins my entire Omen experience 😞

HP Recommended

Can't agree more, that was a horrible decision by HP that created a lot of negative attention for them, not to mention that if you go to the HP store config page and look at the components to build the PC they are still listing the memory as 3200mhz XMP, which is a least misleading and falsely advertised, as enabling XMP is impossible via their own tools. 

HP Recommended

"I rolled back the driver in the Device Manager to 6.5.2.38  and installed the older release of XTU 6.5.2.40"

Can you please explain this process? Roll back Driver for what device, where?

How do you find the older release, I don't see it available on Intel site. 

HP Recommended

I was able to get Corsair Veng 4x8 3600 CL16 running at 3200 (1595.8 MHz) 15-17-17-32

using the method above. When I first installed the new RAM the XTU gave me a slightly different XMP Profile .. it eventually changed. I'm not sure exactly as I was trying different things while swapping in my RAM and reverting back to the factory then putting just 1 stick in.... (IDK., but I think there's something unique about the 4th slot in their BIOS)

eventually I ended up applying it, removing XMP profile, then re-applying it in XTU before I finally got the RAM running at the MOBO spec speed validated in CPU-Z. Very happy with the Latency though so I'm not complaining. At 22 CL you might as well have 2667 RAM. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.