Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 25L i7-10700F
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I replaced my RAM from my Omen 25L with HP HyperX Ram from an Omen 30L.  XMP doesn't seem to be working even though this is HP RAM and I don't see a way to control RGB on the RAM.  Wondering if I should be able to do either of these or if there is some kind of setting / tweak I need to do to get this working properly?  My guess is HP locked something down and this won't work but would like to confirm.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure if it is XMP (but I believe it is), but the Omen's support 3200mhz, and I believe above.  I partially solved this after playing around a bit.  I upgraded the bios from F13 to F17 and after a reboot, there were new HyperX memory and overclocking sections in the Omen Gaming Hub that, in theory, let me overclock the RAM and change the RGB.  However, everything was greyed out and there is a yellow banner saying HP temporarily disabled the features and are working on a fix.  So I think this will work but will need to wait until there is a new bios with a fix.

My understanding is you have to use HP HyperX RAM ... there is some kind of matching of part numbers or something like that that unlock the ability to overclock.  Same spec'd non-HP RAM from HyperX will not work.  You must have a HP part number on the RAM.  In other words, HP Is forcing people to buy RAM from them if you want to get the rated performance of the PC by locking things down in the bios.  Thus the reason I tracked down HP HyperX RAM.  Just didn't buy it directly from HP because their prices on RAM are rediculous and you can't seem to be able to order RAM except when you configure a system.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Both computers don't support XMP, the 25L doesn't support anything above the default 2666Mhz.

HP Recommended

Not sure if it is XMP (but I believe it is), but the Omen's support 3200mhz, and I believe above.  I partially solved this after playing around a bit.  I upgraded the bios from F13 to F17 and after a reboot, there were new HyperX memory and overclocking sections in the Omen Gaming Hub that, in theory, let me overclock the RAM and change the RGB.  However, everything was greyed out and there is a yellow banner saying HP temporarily disabled the features and are working on a fix.  So I think this will work but will need to wait until there is a new bios with a fix.

My understanding is you have to use HP HyperX RAM ... there is some kind of matching of part numbers or something like that that unlock the ability to overclock.  Same spec'd non-HP RAM from HyperX will not work.  You must have a HP part number on the RAM.  In other words, HP Is forcing people to buy RAM from them if you want to get the rated performance of the PC by locking things down in the bios.  Thus the reason I tracked down HP HyperX RAM.  Just didn't buy it directly from HP because their prices on RAM are rediculous and you can't seem to be able to order RAM except when you configure a system.

HP Recommended

Again that is low voltage old school and slow JEDEC profile, there is no XMP. 

HP Recommended

No, there is no matching part numbers or anything. The motherboard simply doesn't support XMP-profiles (aka. memory overclocking), and the RAM sticks contain the standard 3200MHz/cl22/1.2v JEDEC-profile which allows the memory to run at those speeds without any overclocking. The sticks do also contain the 3200MHz XMP-profile but the motherboard can't use it, the motherboard will simply use the new 3200MHz JEDEC-profile.

In fact the 3200MHz JEDEC-profile is so new that there are only 2 different models of RAM sticks in the market that have it, which makes finding compatible 3rd-party RAM sticks for these Omen systems a pain. Just search Amazon for "3200MHz cl22" and you should find Crucial sticks that have the correct JEDEC-profile.

As for the RGB, the Omen Command Center has been broken for months. The update for the software broke that function completely.

Common "fix" for the RGB issue is to install Asus Armoury Crate that can control the RAM RGB.

HP Recommended

Actually JEDEC is very old, it's so old that no one is even producing memory sticks with JEDEC, before the XMP that's all we had. But anyway there are a few makers and some new companies like Klevv that are selling 3200mhz 1.2 JEDEC sticks on Amazon for a very cheap price, and they all work well Prebuilds. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.