Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, I have the same Omen 30L but with 10850k and I lower, in the power plan, max processor state from 100% to 99%, you can put this even lower. That helped a lot with the temperature. Hope this would help.

HP Recommended

There is a simple reason for why it works. With lowering the setting to 99% you deactivate Intel Power Boost. The CPU will stay at 3.6 Ghz with a multiplier of 36. While this will certainly keep the temperature down you are effectively neutering your CPU.

HP Recommended

This is a bit tangential, but since I only recently became aware or interested in CPU temperature with my purchase of a 30L (and then stumbling on this thread), I then decided to install a CPU temperature monitoring application on to my ancient 2012 HP Probook laptop that has a dual core I5.

What I found is that the CPU temperature on that laptop exceeds the mid nineties during a session of an old simple game like team fortress classic.  The point is, that laptop has been in use practically every day for the last 8 years, mostly performing non-intensive tasks, but occasionally enduring consecutive hours of team fortress classic (amounting to a total of 1400 hours) with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

So my questions to the community are:

1. Are 90+ degree CPU core temperatures really a problem given that my laptop has experienced over a thousand hours of such temperatures over the past eight years without a problem?

2. Are the chips that are installed in laptops able to handle higher temperatures than their desktop counterparts for some reason?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Apples to Oranges, mobile CPUs are much different compared to the desktop ones, different architecture, different TDP, different core count and clocks. 

HP Recommended

So does all of that result in the orange being better able to handle sustained temperatures above 90 degrees C or are sustained temperatures above 90 degrees C really not a problem for the apple, either?

HP Recommended

I previously posted a comment stating that enabling the thermal velocity boost had no effect on my I9 10850 based 30L.  While that was a true statement at the time, I obviously hadn't set that up properly somehow, because I have since played with that setting and have definitely seen positive results in terms of maintaining decent performance while simultaneously keeping the temperatures in check.  With the settings I have in place, the system is achieving a 103% bench score on userbenchmark, 3851 Marks on XTU benchmark, and 6870 multithread and 583 single thread on CPU-Z and can play DOOM and cyberpunk 2077 with ultra settings all the time staying below approximately 83 degrees C.

Of course, one can always build a better mousetrap and there are those that will always find a reason to do so, but I'm satisfied with the operation of my i9 10850K based Omen 30L for the time being.  If that changes, I'll be sure to provide an update.

capn357_0-1621917725950.png

HP Recommended

Just made a account to come here and say this.

The Omen 30L is a utter piece of **bleep**. Bought one myself 2 weeks ago. Temps are going all over the place with reaching 97c ingame. It’s fcking ridiculous. The system was also instable with constant crashes and reboots.

Went through alot of hassle to get my hands on this Omen. A 3090 with a I9 10850k and 32gb ram. Then i went through all kinds of **bleep** to get the temps down. Undervolting, underclocking, turning of turbo boost you name it. In the end i got it down to like 70c by gimping my cpu.

But honestly i wasn’t happy with that and refuse to continue on like that. I didn’t buy a high end cpu just to gimp it down. So got a new case cause it’s a **bleep** pain in the ass to do any kinds of modifications to the Omen case and that piece of junk of a MB.

New case corsair 4000d airflow, new MB went ahead and got myself a new psu aswell (u don’t need it, just got a better one). Installed 2 120mm fans infront. A arctic Freezer 2 AIO 240mm double fan on top and a 120mm fan on the back.

Fixed everything for me. Temps down under 70c. Runs stable. No more crashes. Everything works.

Yes you pay some extra but once it’s done you will feel relieved. And yes i broke the warranty but honestly i rly don’t give a **bleep**. I prolonged the durability of my components either way with this step. And you won’t get anything out of HP trash support cuz they cant fix the temp issues. They need a whole new design to be able to do that and they just wont.

Either go and switch cases and get rid of the trash Omen or dont bother with this piece of junk and save yourself alot of headache.

HP Recommended

Same here, i bought fractal design meshify 2 compact and works much better now! Will never buy branded pc again. I know its tricky to build new pc but just watch youtube for help! Theres alot of good videos how to do it etc. 

HP Recommended

Yeah I think the best option is to go with a new case an aio. I don't want to limit my performance due to faulty design. This is something HP's quality control really needs to look at.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.