Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 30l
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I’m currently in possession of a Omen 30l gaming pc.

The specs I chose are the 3060ti with the Ryzen processor and 2 sticks of 8gb Hyper X Fury Ram (16gb). My issue is that I see a lot of people having problems with the speed after upgrading their memory, saying that it drops or performance degrades etc. I currently have 2 slots open to put in memory. I was thinking I could buy 2 8gb Hyper X Fury DDR4 memory cards (not the overpriced HP modified model, I want to get it cheaper off Amazon) so I can add those to the 2 remaining slots to get 32gb (8gb x 4 in total) . My question here is would that work or would the computer’s speed slow down/would performance be impacted and would I be faced with the issue everyone else is having. I would appreciate any help I could get. I would rather keep my PC as is if I know spending money to get more Memory would downgrade performance. 
Thanks!

- Matthew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Matt_B_333 

Hey, not a problem.  I am always glad to help.  None of us were experts when we began using computers.  It comes with time.

I suggest that you try the memory to see if it does make a difference.  More memory is always good even if the speed isn't the fastest.  I believe you should be able to return the memory if it is not damaged when trying it.

Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Matt_B_333 , welcome to the Community.

If you buy any third party memory it will most likely not run at the advertised speed.  HP owns HyperX and the best way to get memory that will run at the speed shown is to buy it when you order the computer.  At this point, I don't believe HP is selling their memory on retail outlets.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Alright well I appreciate the response but I’ve already stated that I’m already in possession of the computer. So I’m trying to figure out if I ordered 2 more 8gb Hyper X cards to make 8gb x 4 would that work or would it cause issues with performance like everyone is saying. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Matt_B_333!

S: but I’ve already stated that I’m already in possession of the computer.

A: I realize that you already own the computer.  What I am telling you is you won't find memory that will run at the speed of the current memory unless you bought it when you bought the computer.

HP Recommended

I see, sorry for the confusion I’m not great with computers. One last thing, even though the new memory cards will not run at the same speed as the current ones I have, would it be a good idea to add them to the computer or would it be a waste of money. I’ve seen people saying that adding more memory than the ones currently installed in the Omen 30l downclocks the total memory speed but I think that might only be for specific models. So bottom line, would it be beneficial to add 2 more 8gb HyperX cards to the current 2 8gb ones I have already. 

HP Recommended

@Matt_B_333 

Hey, not a problem.  I am always glad to help.  None of us were experts when we began using computers.  It comes with time.

I suggest that you try the memory to see if it does make a difference.  More memory is always good even if the speed isn't the fastest.  I believe you should be able to return the memory if it is not damaged when trying it.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Ordered 2x8gb set of HyperXFury to add on to the current ones. Was expecting speed to be lower, as most people have reported that usually out of the box it underclocks the speed to 2400mhz. As soon as I installed it and booted the PC, checked Performance and it ran at a Perfect 3200mhz as advertised. Double checked and booted the computer up a few times to be sure. Everything seems in order and is working well. Thanks for the help!

- Matthew

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Matt_B_333!

Thank you for the update on your situation.  You are one of the lucky ones who got good memory.  I honestly didn't know what speed you would get from the new memory.

HP Recommended

Did you order them from HP?

HP Recommended

Nope, got these right here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WD5VKVL?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image 

I got them without the RGB because it’s cheaper and was a quicker delivery, but you can get them with the RGB, it doesn’t matter. For my specs, these ran at the advertised 3200mhz, so now I have 8gbx4.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.