Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-169ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys, after a whole day of playing different games. (Guess about 8 hours) i decided to do another benchmark run.

I experienced that the score went from around 2200 to 2100. I didn't change any settings. Did any serious harm happen to my rig already after 2 days of ownership?

Processor Core Ratio:  43x

Core Voltage: Default

Processor Cache Ratio: 44x

Thank you for your answers in advance

I also noticed that when I OC the Processor Core Ratio and Cache Ratio to for example x46 or x47 the Benchmark score remains the same or is lower than default settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @philsch300.

Trust me!  If you didn't touch the core voltage, you can't hurt the computer by overclocking it that small amount.  As I said, you have great components.

You should run HP Support Assistant and Windows Update to assure that the computer is fully up to date.  Then, run the benchmark app.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@philsch300, welcome to the forum.

@philsch300wrote:

Hey guys, after a whole day of playing different games. (Guess about 8 hours) i decided to do another benchmark run.

I experienced that the score went from around 2200 to 2100. I didn't change any settings. This could be caused by a number of things.  My first thought is that you did the first benchmark when the computer was first started and cool.  Now, you have used it for several hours and it has warmed up and it now reports a different benchmark.  I have found over the years that doing the benchmarks consistently will give you a better idea of what is happening.  Here is a good list of other benchmarking FREE apps that you can use.  Watch the video (excuse the ad at the end) to understand the different types of benchmarks.  You will have to listen very fast since the guy talks a mile a minute, but he has some good information.

Did any serious harm happen to my rig already after 2 days of ownership?  I will guaranty you that your computer isn't harmed after only 8 hours of gaming.  You have some of the best components on the market today!

Processor Core Ratio:  43x

Core Voltage: Default

Processor Cache Ratio: 44x

Thank you for your answers in advance

I also noticed that when I OC the Processor Core Ratio and Cache Ratio to for example x46 or x47 the Benchmark score remains the same or is lower than default settings. When you begin overclocking you will have to increase the voltage, as well as, the Core Ratio and Cache Ratio.  Here is Intel's Data Sheet on the 17-8700K.  Also, here is a guide on overclocking using Omen Command Center provided by HP.  You should pay particular attention to the segment on Core Voltage and how it can harm your processor if set too high.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I decided to let the computer rest for about 8hours and try it again. The numbers didn't change. I am just wondering why my benchmark scores dropped so heavy. I overclocked it to x47 with default Core Voltage and got a score of almost 2400. Now if I use the exact same settings I only get 2130. Which is just 40 score more than with the default settings. I don't think this is normal for just after 2 days. I would be pretty sad if I broke it already.

Important edit: I used Core Temp and my Task Manager to track the frequency while runnin the benchmark.

With default Omen Command Center Settings the processor should run at 4.4Ghz

While idling on the home screen it keeps jumping from 4.4GHz to 4.5.

The next thing are the frequencies while running the benchmark. This makes me wonder what is happening here.

As soon as I start this benchmark! The frequency of 4.4GHz is achieved only for half a second during the run. When i click the button the frequency goes down to 4.1GHz and jumps up to a maximum of 4.22GHz durin that process. As soon as the benchmark is finished it goes up to where it should be.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @philsch300.

Trust me!  If you didn't touch the core voltage, you can't hurt the computer by overclocking it that small amount.  As I said, you have great components.

You should run HP Support Assistant and Windows Update to assure that the computer is fully up to date.  Then, run the benchmark app.

HP Recommended

But why do the GHz dial down when I run the benchmark? Is there somewhat like an offset in the bios? The temperatures all look normal to me while stress testing it doesn't get warmer than 70 degrees.

HP Recommended

Okay I did a bios update and this seems to work for now. I will reply again if it remains like that. Thank you again for helping me out!

HP Recommended

The problem came back...

When I run the benchmark, the cpu frequency goes all over the place. I have no idea what to do now. I am thinking about returning this product and hopefully get my money back. Why does it start doing that after 2 day already?

HP Recommended

You cant actually adjust the voltage when overclocking. Its there just for looks. I covered this in my video here. HP has locked the voltage despite having a voltage slider aka placebo effect. HP has also built in safety precautions for you cant damage the system. Its IMPOSSIBLE to do so for cpu overclocking.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnQ4garCyvw&t=3s

HP Recommended

Great Job!

Engineer146
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.