Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0246ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Guys,

I wanted to upgrade my CPU Cooler because the stock one is really loud while playing games. I was unable to remove the backplate on the MB because it looks like it is glued on there somehow and I dont want to break anything. Is there a way to find out which cooler might fit on the stock backplate? Has anyone successfully replaced their Cooler? 

Cheers

Zarbustibal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Zarbustibal , welcome to the forum.

Since HP has their motherboard made to their own specifications, your best option would be to choose a cooler manufacturer and contact their Tech Support.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to tell you if they have a cooler that will work.  You may have to contact more than one manufacturer.  All of them don't support the same products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Zarbustibal , welcome to the forum.

Since HP has their motherboard made to their own specifications, your best option would be to choose a cooler manufacturer and contact their Tech Support.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to tell you if they have a cooler that will work.  You may have to contact more than one manufacturer.  All of them don't support the same products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I spent the whole day yesterday looking for a solution. Turns out that you cannot change the cooling system without removing the backplate. Even HP Support Personnal told me to do so as even they dont have any Information on fitting coolers which is a bit annoying tbh. Anyway I guess if I want to upgrade I have to find a way to remove the backplate without breaking the mb .

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Zarbustibal!

Just be extremely careful when working on the motherboard.  They are a bit fragile.  Good luck!!

HP Recommended

All of the Obelisk PC's use an Intel based cooler mount, even on the AMD systems. This has been reported by many users upgrading their AiO systems. You will have to remove the motherboard and use something like an X-ACTO knife or razor blade to separate the double sided tape holding the existing back-plate. Do not try to remove the metal plate embedded into the motherboard itself if it has one.

A few users have installed this one... https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Hydro-Liquid-Cooler-Radiator/dp/B079NXZQBC

HP Recommended

Thank you for your Reply 🙂

After talking to a lot of support personnell and googling a ton I came to the same conclusion and I already found an AiO I want to install (This one) since its apparently the same type that HP installed in the Omen Obelisks that came with a Liquid Cooling. Its a bit of a shame that HP does not provide a List of fitting Upgrade Parts or even sell those. Anyway thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

The Coolermaster AiO is being installed on the new Omen L series that replaces the Obelisk. The Obelisk uses an Asetek non branded cooler (different). The CoolerMaster will work though. Try lining it up with the existing plate. If it doesn't work, you will have to remove the plate as I mentioned above.

Let us know how it turns out. 🙂

HP Recommended

As far as I know i will have to replace the plate no matter what. I will let you know if it worked. The Cooler should arrive next week 🙂

HP Recommended

As Promised : I just installed the AiO and its working 🙂 Had to remove the Backplate which was a bit tricky but it worked with pushing on the screws (one by one) and cutting the Tape with a thin Butterknife. The rest was straight forward . The only part that was a bit fiddely was screwing the bracket that holds the radiator back on. As Iam writing this the cpu sits at 42° C which is nice 🙂 If anyone ever needs to know this HP is using Intel Sockets even with the AMD CPUs for the Omen Obelisk 875- 0246ng

with the Moria2 MB it is the LGA 1366 Socket. 

Cheers

Zarbustibal

HP Recommended

Thanks for the update.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.