Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-1016nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

i have some questions to ask you.

The first one is it normal for my graphic card ( RTX 2080 )  to reach 82°C while playing a game such as AC Origins ?
And if it's normal does it damage the graphic card to reach such temperature ?

Then is it normal that my graphic card only have one fan while the other RTX 2080 i see on internet have 2 or 3 fans ?

If it's normal then if i want to install a watercooling system does my warranty will be impact ?

Thanks for your response

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@wwwGeneral , welcome to the forum.

@wwwGeneral wrote:

Hi,

The first one is it normal for my graphic card ( RTX 2080 )  to reach 82°C while playing a game such as AC Origins ?
And if it's normal does it damage the graphic card to reach such temperature ?  The maximum temperature for a RTX 2080 is 88C.  If it continues to stay at no more than 82C you should be fine.  If it begins to go higher this can cause problems.

Then is it normal that my graphic card only have one fan while the other RTX 2080 i see on internet have 2 or 3 fans?  There is actually no NORMAL when it comes to video card fans.  The number of fans on a video card is normally personal preference.  Also, it depends on the space inside of the case.

If it's normal then if i want to install a watercooling system does my warranty will be impact ?  While it is very technical to add liquid cooling to a video card, the card must be completely disassembled, I don't believe that it will void your warranty, as long as, you don't damage the video card or other components.

Thanks for your response

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@wwwGeneral , welcome to the forum.

@wwwGeneral wrote:

Hi,

And if it's normal does it damage the graphic card to reach such temperature ?  The maximum temperature for a RTX 2080 is 88C.  If it continues to stay at no more than 82C you should be fine.  If it begins to go higher this can cause problems.

Then is it normal that my graphic card only have one fan while the other RTX 2080 i see on internet have 2 or 3 fans?  There is actually no NORMAL when it comes to video card fans.  The number of fans on a video card is normally personal preference.  Also, it depends on the space inside of the case.

If it's normal then if i want to install a watercooling system does my warranty will be impact ?  While it is very technical to add liquid cooling to a video card, the card must be completely disassembled, I don't believe that it will void your warranty, as long as, you don't damage the video card or other components.

Thanks for your response

HP Recommended

Thanks for your awnser !

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @wwwGeneral!  Glad to help.

HP Recommended

Hello @WwwGeneral

I see you got a solution but since I had the same concerns I post my research result here: I have an Omen Obelisk with a RTX 2080ti and an i9-9900k (water cooled)

It is true that the system can get really hot but it needs a while to reach the GPUs set thermal limit which is 88°C. The Nvidia GPU is configured so that it'll reach 84°C while maintaining 50% GPU fan speed to reduce noise. At 84°C the thermal limit starts to kick in but the performance should still be pretty good. The moment the GPU exceedes the 88°C the GPU will throttle its overall power thus reducing performance. 

For example, when I play Call of Duty Modern Warfare the GPU is at 98% (average) performance which is really high but reaches 84°C pretty fast. The highest temperature it reached was once 87°C but just for a second. Most of the time it stays at 84°C. When I play DOTA it reaches max 75°C. The high temperature has also to do with the GPU Nvidia boost which gets everything out of your graphic card to give you the best performance it can (got this information from another forum).

The CPU can even get to 100°C without having any issues since (as I've seen) it is made to reach such temperatures.

Everyone of us would like it cooler but then you've to deal with the fan noises. What I've done is to set two extra 92mm fans on the bottom which are set to 55% (about 1100 to 1200rpm) speed with a fan controller. It doesn't make the GPU or CPU cooler because the System fans will reduce the rpm based on the thermal limit. I really did it because of the overall fan noise (more fresh air = less fan noise)

If you really want your GPU fan to go faster than the set 50% speed at 84°C you can use MSI Afterburner or Pilat Thunder Master to set the target rpm.

3d mark benchmark reached 12200 Points (12700 with CPU overclocking)

Kind regards,

Ove

HP Recommended

@Ovecarleone, thank you for your input!  You did such a good job of explaining the video card heating, I just wanted add a comment about the 100C for the CPU.  This is the Tjunction max temperature.  Here is what happens when Tj is reached:

"Tjunction max is the maximum thermal junction temperature that a processor will allow prior to using internal thermal control mechanisms to reduce power and limit temperature. Activation of the processor's thermal control system may cause performance loss as the processor typically reduces frequency and power to prevent overheating."

I have always been extremely cautious when reaching max temps on any component.  As an oooold overclocker, I have seen the horrible outcome from HEAT.  Just saying.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.