Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen PC-870-014no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I'm trying to overclock this HP OMEN

https://support.hp.com/se-sv/product/OMEN-by-HP-870-000-Desktop-PC-series/11084748/model/12725465/do...

without success 

Although there is a "tab" for overclocking in the (sparse) BIOS setting, and the cpu is an "K" model (Intel Core i5-6600K) the frequency , after the modest overclocking to 4.100 mhz in the bios, still reads 3,9 (turbo boost) in the coreTemp app.

Is the motherboard (Thimphu 2B4B - Z170) not allowing the cpu to be overclocked?

I've updated to the latest bios as well.

/J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jo__do,

You're welcome!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jo__do,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are trying to overclock the CPU on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/how-to-overclock-pc-cpu

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The_Fosette!

Correct - I'm trying to overclock the cpu.

I've read through the link - and it still doesn't say how to do it (just explains what it is and precautions etc).

It's my understanding that the "Command center" software isn't compatible with my computer (870...) so I tried the modest oc in the bios - without any success.

So I'll gladly accept your help 🙂

HP Recommended

@jo__do,

The machine will automatically increase its CPU speed when required, no option to force (overclock) it. Having said that, are you performing any stress test to push the processor to its maximum limit?

You can go into the BIOS to find the section for Overclocking.  As to how far can the processor be overclocked? -- it depends on the processor. I have never found two processors that overclock the same. The best policy is to take it in small increments.  This will assure that it doesn't overheat too much. 

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend overclocking the CPU as it may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again!

I appreciate the effort.

First time I entered the overclock bios tab the (default) settings were

Overclocking enabled

1-Core ratio limit override [39]

2-Core ratio limit override [38]

3-Core ratio limit override [37]

4-Core ratio limit override [36]

The third party app  (Core temp) I use read with the above (default) settings frequency 3890,xxxx)Mhz.

I assumed the [39] somehow was the "turbo" part of the cpu.

I then changed the above settings to 41 on all 4 lines, restarted the computer and checked the Core temp app.

The frequency read the same, I was expecting 4100mhz.

That's when I started googling a little bit and found some info that  this motherboard wasn't overclockable.

That's when I posted the question here.

I run a simulation in vr wth the capability to show fps and how hard the cpu and gpu works - and unfortunately it's the cpu that is the bottleneck (apparently the sim uses one core heavy). That's why I wanted to overclock it.

So my question still remains - is it possible to overclock this computer, and if so, how?

Thanks,

J

HP Recommended

@jo__do,

I see that the motherboard doesn't support overclocking and as I informed earlier if you enable overclocking in the BIOS the operating system will automatically increase the CPU speed when required.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette - 

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for being so "slow" but is it correct that one can still overclock despite the motherboard not supporting it?

I interpret you answer that it is so - and the cpu will overclock (up to the limit specified in the oc tab in the bios) when needed.

Thanks

/J

HP Recommended

@jo__do,

You're welcome!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.