Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-553na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All

I purchased this HP Omen a while back, back in September of 2019, and it has been great, other than a few hiccups with glitchy behaviour on windows it has been perfect, all the games run great and perform well for the hardware that's inside the computer. Now there is a game that I play on my PC and it is called "Roblox", a children's game to be exact. Now when purchasing the computer back in september, this game has never worked well on the computer, I would have sudden FPS drops and these drops would be consistent for a lengthy period of time before returning to a smooth 60fps. This will sound desperate and some reading this would probably think why bother with a block game for children. Well I love to play this game, it was part of my childhood and now that im a bit older than the majority of people playing this game, I tried really hard to get this game working because I don't want to lose the good experiences of playing this game. 

A little more detail into what the issue is. Other games work fine on my system, GPU and CPU intensive games work fine at a smooth 60fps, like Apex Legends, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Division 2 and many other games. I have a 60 hz LCD 4k Panel from LG (Entry model for 4k), I hardly use 4k for playing games but rather at 1080p and 1440p. With Roblox, any game or "place" as its called will yield the same problem, so no matter what game it is inside roblox, it will still have this problem. 
The problem is whenever I play the game, either from a fresh start of turning on my computer or playing after having my computer on for 3 hours +, the game would start and play at a smooth 60FPS however as I play the game for roughly 3 or two minutes, the game starts to stutter, it can be mild fps drops then return to 60FPS or sometimes its worse where the game being displayed would go to 30FPS or less. I can tell this from just looking at my monitor and seeing my gameplay be choppy and slow. This will continue to stutter and remain at a low framerate for roughly 30 seconds (this time can vary) and then resume to 60FPS, where the cycle continues the more I play the game. Also to note: the longer I play the game, the longer period of time of frames dropping occurs, and actual frame drops increase progressively. 

I have contacted Roblox support on this issue, followed possibly every instructions they have given me, but these responses were basic and no real troubleshooting or debugging was done on my system, all they did was reiterate the steps on their support website and nothing fixed the issue, at the end they said to just reinstall windows, and I really do not want to do this unless I have to. I have tried other options they have not told me, an extensive list to say:

I have: 
Restarted the computer many times
Updated all Drivers available from HP Support Assistant (Including BIOS)
Reinstalled Roblox (Deleting the Game folder too)
Disabled my Antivirus and Turned my Firewall off while gaming
Updated my Graphics Card Drivers (Ive already done a clean install of these by removing the old ones and installing the new ones)
Created a New windows user on my system and installing the game on that account
Reseated RAM, replugged GPU.
Messed around with settings in NVidia control panel regarding roblox
Changed my resolution from 4k to 1440p to 1080p to 720p and the problem is the same for all resolutions
Disabled Custom scale factor
Changed the ingame graphics settings in roblox..
Ive forced windows to use integrated graphics from my CPU to run roblox, with the GPU fully taken out
Changed settings regarding power management for GPU
Used a different monitor and Display Port cable and different port
Switched to HDMI from Display Port
Disabled iCUE and Logitech Options software for both my keyboard and mouse
Changed the polling rate of my keyboard from 1000hz to lower frequencies
Ive monitored CPU, GPU and Temps, CPU only gets utilised at 20%, gpu at 15% with CPU temps being at 50 degrees and gpu being at 40-50 degrees. 
Ive disabled overlays (Discord, Geforce Experience and Xbox)

Ive tried so many things, that im starting to forget some of them
Everything in this list I have tried and the problem still persists.

What really confuses me, is that when I go and activate debugging on roblox, the game reports that the CPU prepares a frame every 16.6 ms on average which is 60fps every second. GPU having a 2 ms time. I installed a FPS counter to see if this was correct, the FPS counter also reports 60FPS in times when frames drop to as low as 20 FPS. Geforce Experience also has a FPS counter overlay too and that reports 60FPS, so is there some sort of frame loss between the GPU transmitting the signal to the monitor? but then it wouldn't explain why having integrated graphics running would also produce this same issue. Probably not related to the issue, however I experience input lag when using my mouse to play the game, and changing Vsync settings directly from Nvidia Control panel does not affect this whatsoever. 

My System Specs if you are not familiar

CPU: i7 9700k Water Cooled
GPU: RTX 2070 HP Short Variant
SSD: 500GB M.2 
HDD: 2TB 7200RPM
RAM: 32 GB (2x8 GB Kingston Sticks Running at 2400 mhz) (2x8 GB Kingston Sticks Running at 2666 mhz)
Note: This problem existed with the standard ram that came with the computer
Monitor: LG 24UD58B (4k 60fps)
Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wired
Mouse: Logitech MX Master Gen 1

Ive tried practically everything and to most people I've wasted my time, but I want to be absolutely sure there is no possible way to fix this issue before reinstalling windows, because I have a lot of files on here that needs to be backed up. If anyone has any tips or possible fix to this issue It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Alex 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

EDIT: So I was speaking to a few people  on Roblox (Not Support) about my issue and how I get frame drops despite my hardware being more than capable to run it. One suggested to download a frame unlocker which is a program that overrides the framerate limit that roblox have put on their game which is 60 FPS, running the program makes my game run at 200 FPS, but I don't notice a difference since my monitor is 60Hz, anyways the game runs at 200 fps now and uses 40% of my cpu rendering extra frames. This has fixed the framerate drops.

Solved

Alex

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Alex_S1,

I do believe your issue is "bandwidth", and their NOT going to admit it.

Used to play SOF2 on the internet. As the number of players logged into the system, the bandwidth could not absorb the multitude of players.  My neighbor plays some game involving "FarmVille", and she is constant screaming at the monitor as it stutters.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi Wb2001
Thank you for the reply, it is very much appreciated!

Roblox support did actually talk about bandwidth while I was in a support case with them, they wanted evidence of my latency and download and upload speeds, however my Down is 380 mbps, UP is 50mbps and latency is roughly around 8 ms. I have a friend who recently bought a computer (Alienware) with pretty much same specs (His GPU was an RTX 2080), and we both played the same game within roblox on the same server, now I asked my friend if his game was stuttering or having these frame drops and he said no in the whole time we played (roughly 2 hours on the same server). I know for sure that his bandwidth is less and also has a higher latency than me, so I don't really see how it could be bandwidth.

Alex

HP Recommended

EDIT: So I was speaking to a few people  on Roblox (Not Support) about my issue and how I get frame drops despite my hardware being more than capable to run it. One suggested to download a frame unlocker which is a program that overrides the framerate limit that roblox have put on their game which is 60 FPS, running the program makes my game run at 200 FPS, but I don't notice a difference since my monitor is 60Hz, anyways the game runs at 200 fps now and uses 40% of my cpu rendering extra frames. This has fixed the framerate drops.

Solved

Alex

HP Recommended

I also have the i7 Omen desktop with standard 16GB ram (+8, making 24) and I have a problem with FPS. 7 Days to Die, ARK, and even the old game Age of Empires 2 cannot run. 7DD started out perfect, running at 80+ FPS, but the second day it went as low as 7 FPS and would fluctuate up to 25-30. My question: is there a frame unlocker for every game, or is it a general program? If either, is there a name for the unlocker/program?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi Austin, 

I believe there are frame unlockers for other games however when you search "frame unlocker" on google the majority of the results that come up are for Roblox.
I suggest just typing "frame unlocker" followed by the game you play to see if such a program exists. If not some games especially old ones have their graphics settings inside a config or options file in the game files and you have to go dig around for it if there are not any graphics options in the GUI of the game.

Alex

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.