cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Unorthad0x
Level 1
9 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Possible cpu upgrade

HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What are my options if I would ever decide to upgrade the CPU? I have CPUID installed on my pc and it says I have a i7 7700 65w socket 1151 LGA. Would any cpu with the same socket and wattage work? I could have sworn reading something somewhere on here that you can only upgrade to a few other cpus. 

2 REPLIES 2
Photoray002
Level 15
12,679 9,523 1,309 2,557
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just to clarify... there are two versions of your model. Which one do you have?

HP Omen 870-244  or HP Omen 870-244nd?

Its always best If you give us the full product number so we can look it up.

It can be found in the HP Support Assistant.

The HP Omen 870-244 with the Thimphu-K motherboard can use up to a 7700K 91w cpu.

The HP Omen 870-244nd with the Odense2-K motherboard can only use up to a 7700 65w cpu.

Personal opinion, I would not bother upgrading to the K version if I could, not worth the money. The 7700 locked cpu will turbo up to 4.2 anyways. The unlocked K version will still not be overclockable due to HP bios limitations, which would really be the only reason to have one.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SixtyfpsGaming
Level 3
53 40 1 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I dont think upgrade is a option but dont quote me. If your cpu could use a 7700k the gain isnt worth the cost you pay. I have the same chip and set up. Its just a real same intel has to make a new board every gen because a clear upgrade would be get a 300 board and then get a 8700/9700 or what ever. 

HP OMEN 7700 I7 1070 gtx
MSI GT73VRE TITAN
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation