Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Envy Phoenix 810-370st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was just wondering if anyone knows what power supply I need to get. I have a 500w but I want a 750w. Reason being is because I am upgrading my graphics card to a new GTX 1080ti and it requires a minimum of 600w. I want the extra wattage for when I do even more upgrades. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dirtdevil16x

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st PC with a 500W power supply. You plan to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card and want to upgrade to aa 600W power supply. I'll surely check which power supply will serve the purpose. 

I did some research and yes you are correct. The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti has a recommended power supply of 600W. Aso, this graphics card needs Supplementary Power Connectors (One 6-pin and One 8-pin) to power it up separately. Therefore, you need a power supply that can accommodate power to this graphic card also.

Secondly, the motherboard used in the laptop is an of Pegatron brand (model# IPIWB-PB). This is a uATX form factor motherboard and needs an ATX power supply from the power supply to the motherboard. This is exactly the same connector which you currently have on the existing 500W power supply for your motherboard. I do not have the exact part no. However, the power supply should be available at a computer store. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@dirtdevil16x

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 810-370st PC with a 500W power supply. You plan to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti graphics card and want to upgrade to aa 600W power supply. I'll surely check which power supply will serve the purpose. 

I did some research and yes you are correct. The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti has a recommended power supply of 600W. Aso, this graphics card needs Supplementary Power Connectors (One 6-pin and One 8-pin) to power it up separately. Therefore, you need a power supply that can accommodate power to this graphic card also.

Secondly, the motherboard used in the laptop is an of Pegatron brand (model# IPIWB-PB). This is a uATX form factor motherboard and needs an ATX power supply from the power supply to the motherboard. This is exactly the same connector which you currently have on the existing 500W power supply for your motherboard. I do not have the exact part no. However, the power supply should be available at a computer store. 

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hello dirtdevil

I would like to help you.

Have you measured along PCIe x16 slot from back of tower to any obstacles such as HDD cage to verify the 1080ti will fit in your PC?

You should also measure current power supply (LxWxH) and then shop for a 750 watt power supply with very similar dimensions. A long PS could butt up against the optical drive. You also need clearance to attach the cables to the power supply.

There are many good PS makers out there. The dimensions on all three power supplies below are very similar.

Here are three good Power Supply Makers:

Corsair

Seasonic

Super Flower

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hello dirtdevil16x,

I respect the choice of the graphics card that you are looking for, but my personal suggestion :

Please do not go for  GTX 1080ti. 

It may be the best in the series that's released however the card has a lots of overheating issues.

From a source it is known that  the card reached up to 107 degrees Celsius, or 224 degrees Fahrenheit, when put under the Furmark stress test. 

So the colling system must be really strong as well. Only considering the power wattage extension might not be helpful.

Also if Nvidia, there could be some driver issues with the windows 10.

Please refer to the link :

https://www.slant.co/topics/6155/~gtx-1080-cards 

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

I understand where you're coming from. And I did see some reviews of it overheating on numerous occasions. Im going to go ahead and just get a regular 1080 with an updated power supply. I just have to figure out which one.

HP Recommended

Hey Dirtdevil

I just installed an Asus 1080 Strix OC.

Benchmarks using Furmark, 3DMark, and Unigine pass with high temps @ 57 degrees C.

The problem is the card is almost 12 inches in length.  It (1080 graphics card) has three fans and you can connect front  case fans to the card. So the front case fans are controlled by the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Don't think this card would fit in your PC.

Grzy

HP Recommended

It is the same length as the GTX 770 that I have in my computer right now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.