Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Desktop 8fv5pjh
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I tried to reset my desktop with the factory reset but it now it has stopped at the window that says "preparing recovery

Preparing to restore this computer. It restarts automatically. 100%"

And it has been like this for hours and nothing happens, what should I do? I have the option to abort but I'm not sure if that would remove my personal data that I want to save 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Storchen 

Your product number seems to be incorrect. Could you recheck that, or do you have the model number?

You asked about saving your data. Running an HP Factory Reset will wipe your data and reinstall Windows as it was at purchase.

Just so you know. If your data is still accessible, you need to back it up first.

If the Recovery is corrupt and not installing, you can always clean install  Windows 10 via the MS Media Creation Tool and an 8GB USB thumb drive. You do not need to know the key as it will auto activate when Windows updates.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

But if your hard drive is having physical issues, you would need to replace it.

Without knowing your model, if you have the HP Diagnostics tools installed, you can run a hard drive test.

At power-on, rapidly tap the F2 key until the diagnostics menu appears.

Go to Component Tests>Storage Tests and run the short test first. If nothing found, run the long test.

Here are the instructions... https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

HP Recommended

It's a HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-00xx

It gave me the option to reset the computer to factory setting but with saving my files like photos and videos but not the programs that I've installed on the computer.

I ended up aborting the factory reset after maybe 12 hours of not doing anything except saying that it was at 100% and that it would restart on its own when it was finished.

HP Recommended

Sorry but I need better details... why were you needing to reset Windows?

Was there an issue of working properly?

Is windows able to run at the moment?

That model number is incomplete. The 00xx represents only the series. Can you give me the exact Product number?

Can you run the UEFI Diagnostics that I mentioned above to check the drive?

HP Recommended

I did the quick test and it came back green and then I did the long test and that also came back green.

I wanted to reset windows because i feel like it's not running properly, like i wasn't able to install Itunes and my fan starts going off at full speed when I shutdown my computer and I wasn't able to complete the factory reset, so I feel like something isn't right.

Windows is running like it always has.

Could this be the correct number HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC 790-0012no

HP Recommended

OK got ya.  That is a correct model number now, thanks.

Since you cannot restore to factory, Did you ever create the HP USB Recovery Media onto a 16GB USB flash drive?

You could use that to restore to factory with.

Or

You can use an 8GB USB flash drive and the MS Media Creation Tool and clean install Windows 10 to the latest version right away. No need to know the key. If you do this method, do a Custom install and delete all the partitions first, the let it install.

Create media Windows 10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.