Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-224
My Omen 870-224 came with an Intel i5 7th gen processor in an 1151 socket. Can I upgrade to an i7 7th gen processor, will the BIOS support it? What about the cooling fan / heatsink, does it need to be upgraded?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. I was just reminded by another expert that HP motherboards (at least most of them that we know of), will not accept the unlocked (K) CPU's. So it would seem the specs are correct if it does not include a K model in the list of upgrade options, even though technically the mobo would generally handle 95w TDP.

The only real way to know if that CPU is working, is to test it in a different motherboard (non HP).

Although, new CPU's that are DOA (while it is possible) are not very common.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello @js42865

That model can be upgraded to the Intel Core i7-7700 (Kabylake) 3.6 GHz Quad Core.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962

Your i5 and the i7-7700 3.6 GHz setups came with the same heat sink installed.

You should be good to go.

HP Recommended
Thank you. I installed the i7 gen 7 chip and stock heatsink / fan. The computer ran fine at first, I downloaded a new game that required the i7 and as I was setting it up the computer crashed - monitor said no signal. I tried multiple times to reboot without success. I reinstalled the i5 and the computer booted up fine. Any ideas?
HP Recommended

Not really, which Omen product number do you have specifically to know which bios it yours in the specs page?

Did you upgrade to the 7700 or 7700k cpu?

HP Recommended
  1. Turn the computer off completely.
  2. Turn on the computer and press the F10 key continually to access the BIOS configuration
  3. In the File menu, select System Information, and then press Enter.

Opening System Information in the BIOS

4.Find the System Board ID (SSID). This will enable @Photoray002 to suggest correct BIOS update.

System Board ID - ROM Family SSID

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes, you can do that or just give us the full product/model number.

Its in the HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended
Thanks folks...
Product number: Z5M58AA#ABA
Model number: 870-224
HP Recommended

1. As other suggested, check that your BIOS is up to date - using the information above and comparing with what's available below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160

2. As others asked already: was it 7700 or 7700k that you bought? It was never confirmed by anybody here if the latter would also be supported, or not.

And keep us posted as I'm thinking about doing the same at some stage.

HP Recommended
Sorry, forgot to respond on this point, it's an i7 7700K processor. Thanks.
HP Recommended

"As others asked already: was it 7700 or 7700k that you bought? It was never confirmed by anybody here if the latter would also be supported, or not."

Thats correct Krezmien, i did not state yet until I get the facts first. 😉

While the Odense2-S has two separate specs pagees stating different supported TDP: Up to 65 W and TDP: Up to 95 W, both only state the maximum cpu allowed is the i7 7700 non K version. I have to assume the bios is set up to only accept the non K version. Specs page for this model also states it will only support an upgrade to the non k version.

cpu upgrade omen 870-224.PNG

The bios for SSID: 82F1 is F.24 Rev.A  Release date: Mar 15, 2018  sp86741.exe

If installed, cannot be rolled back to a previous version.

There is no mention in the verions that the unlocked 7700 support was added.

All I can do now is go to HP and ask for clarification on this. I have a feeling I know the answer I will be given.

But I will ask today and see what happens. I dont know when I will get responded to, but will let you know what they say.

IF we can determine that the 7700K is indeed also supported, then you can look for a different cause for the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.