Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Thank you, let me know outcome. Also, the computer was running for some time with the i7 7700K before it crashed, would this occur if the processor was not supported?
HP Recommended

I wll mentinon that to them. Strange that it did, but I will see what they say.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 Thanks for checking this. Merely for the completeness, when  I wote:

It was never confirmed by anybody here if the latter would also be supported, or not

I meant that I did not see it confirmed as working anywhere on these forums, not just in this thread; there were couple of people with similar enquiries that I came across in the recent months.

So definitive answer will no doubt be very appreciated.

HP Recommended
@photoray002 - any new information? Should I buy an i7 7700, and not use the 7700K?
HP Recommended

I put the query out but no response so far and I dont know if or when anyone will.

Edit: I got a response and an associate will look into it, but there is no documentation readily availble for that kind of info. He will get back to me when he can. I dont know how long that will be but dont expect an answer right away.

In the mean time... all I can do is take the documentation at face value as it says the only i7 supported is the non K version. I will post my findings, when they get back to me.

You mobo should be ROM Family SSID 82F1

Bios vers F.24 Rev.A (Note: it cannot be rolled back once installed).

Looking at the notes, that bios update only added security updates.

HP Recommended
Thanks again. I'm going to try the i7 7700 and see what happens. Will let you know.
HP Recommended
I reinstalled the i7 7700K processors and the computer wouldn't boot up. Then put in the i7 7700 and it booted and is working fine so far. I reinstalled the stock HP cooling fan as the one supplied wth the processor did not fit the screw attachment on the motherboard. Thanks for all of your help.

One last question, is there a simple way for me to test my i7 7700K processor to see if it is ok? Would like to sell it to recover some of the $$$ I spent but I need to know if it is good first.

Thanks again.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the update. I was just reminded by another expert that HP motherboards (at least most of them that we know of), will not accept the unlocked (K) CPU's. So it would seem the specs are correct if it does not include a K model in the list of upgrade options, even though technically the mobo would generally handle 95w TDP.

The only real way to know if that CPU is working, is to test it in a different motherboard (non HP).

Although, new CPU's that are DOA (while it is possible) are not very common.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.