Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i just recently have made a few upgrades to this machine. i put in a 750Watt PSU and a 2070 super GPU. Now i am realizing that my i5-7400 Processor is lacking in the gaming and VR department. when checking online for upgrade processor info, it says i can only get up to a i7-7700 65W, just thinking that's with the stock PSU. My question is, can i put a bigger one in since ive upgraded my PSU, such as a i7-9700K or even an i9-9900K? or is is motherboard dependent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Normally the processor upgrade path is determined by the maker of the board, if they have a bios and can hardware support a more powerful CPU, they will allow it. You should check what HP is recommending for your SKU as a maximum supported, but if I have to speculate, its probably i7 7700 none K. 

You are currently having the 7th generation i5, so you can's upgrade to something outside of this generation, especially to 9th. Different architecture, different chip-set...and so on.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Normally the processor upgrade path is determined by the maker of the board, if they have a bios and can hardware support a more powerful CPU, they will allow it. You should check what HP is recommending for your SKU as a maximum supported, but if I have to speculate, its probably i7 7700 none K. 

You are currently having the 7th generation i5, so you can's upgrade to something outside of this generation, especially to 9th. Different architecture, different chip-set...and so on.  

HP Recommended

that's what I was figuring, I'm not such a huge wizz in Computers but pulling up the pc info and just looking at the stuff i am to assume you're correct. but I would also assume that and i7-7700 is more than capable to run most VR games without stutter?

HP Recommended

Yes absolutely, you will gain 4 additional threads and higher clock speeds. Up till recently I was running one of those on one my desktops, paired with gtx 1080Ti, it was doing great. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.