Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp omen 880-020

The current computer I'm using is the HP Omen 880-020 with Windows 10. I also have an HP Pavilion p6210y that died on me a while back. It was an issue with the BIOS. The hard drive from that computer originally had Windows 7 but I upgraded to Windows 10 when Microsoft was giving it free.

Although I was able to move files from Pavilion hard drive to another computer using a SATA to USB adapter, I was unable to restore the disk because I didn't create any recovery disks and I don't have the product key.

My questions are,

Can I put the hard drive into one of the hard disk slots on my Omen? There are 2 slots on the upper front of the tower.

Will there be any way I can reformat the hard drive without the product key and/or recovery disk?

Assuming this can work, will there be any issues between the Omen hard drive and the Pavilion hard drive in which both run Windows 10?

If the Pavilion hard drive is able to be reformatted, will it revert to Windows 7 and will there be any issues with 2 hard drives running 2 different operating systems on the same computer?

If there are any problems, can I just wipe the Pavilion hard drive clean and install it as if it was random internal hard drive?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1. Yes, you can install it as long as all the required power and SATA cables are there.

2. Yes, you can format the old hard drive without a recovery disk, but you cannot use it as your main drive in your new Omen.

3. Nope.

4. Yes, you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS, but like I said above, you cannot use the old HDD to run the old OS on your new Omen.

5. Thats the only thing that will work, and yes.

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

1. Yes, you can install it as long as all the required power and SATA cables are there.

2. Yes, you can format the old hard drive without a recovery disk, but you cannot use it as your main drive in your new Omen.

3. Nope.

4. Yes, you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS, but like I said above, you cannot use the old HDD to run the old OS on your new Omen.

5. Thats the only thing that will work, and yes.

I don't run HP, I just like helping others!

i7-3770 / MSI Z87-G43 / 16GB PNY DDR3 / Aorus RX580 / Ultra X4 750W / Sandisk U110 250GB SSD and 2x WD Velociraptors 300GB / Antec 1100 V2 / NZXT Respire T40 / Corsair SP120 RGB
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I removed all my important files from the old hard drive via SATA to USB  cable. I going to just wipe clean that drive and use it as a second hard drive in my Omen.

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner.

Thank you 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.