Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-130VX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP Omen 870-130VX,  Product number is Y8Q37AV.

It currently has the 1080GTX Video Card, Liquid cooling and the 500watt power supply.

I'd like to possibly upgrade the powersupply and the video card when Nvidia drops the next RTX series cards.

Would anyone happen to know if going with a 600Watt or more powersupply as well as possibly the 2080RTX would work in this model?

thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MrAlaskan , welcome to the forum.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell what to consider when upgrading your video card:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

You won't have to be concerned about the UEFI, your motherboard is almost new.  You will have to be concerned about heat that will be developed by the new card.  The RTX 2080 cards are very powerful and for that reason develop a lot of heat.  The mid-size cases are particularly susceptible to heat.  Read the article and follow the suggestions and you will be able to know if it will work.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi, well not sure what's going on but that link you posted takes me to a page that says article not found.

Oh well thanks anyways!  🙂

I'll keep those things in mind that you mention when I start looking seriously. I might need to look at adding better fans or just saying to heck with it and waiting for a sale with a newer Omen setup. Been really happy with this one and its handled everything I've tossed at it so far but I'd like to eventually go with a beefier video card probably later in the year.

HP Recommended

@MrAlaskan, I switched from Firefox to Edge.  Let's see if you can open the link:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7447100

I have a MSI RTX 2080 in my custom build (See my signature below.).  It is everything that they advertise.  I play mainly Tom Clancy Splinter Cell and CoD games on absolutely the highest settings.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.