Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just purchased the hp omen 30 L and it came with 1 8 gb ram stick at 3200 mhz. I added a matching stick with the same speed and in task manager with both sticks my speed is 2400 mhz. I check bios to see if i needed to enable xmp but there was no options. Does anyone know how i can fix this

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had to call HyperX support after buying and installing the Kingston HyperX fury RGB 3200 MHz 8GB RAM from Amazon. It works, but it will not run at the advertised speed of 3200 MHz and it will not run in dual channel mode. To set the new RAM at the higher frequency, XMP Profile 1 for this memory slot has to be enabled in the bios. You can enable this function in the BIOS on most motherboards, but this functionality is missing from the HP bios. In order to enable the higher operating speed and to run in dual channel memory mode, you will have to purchase and install the 8GB of RAM directly from HP.

I purchased and installed this RAM directly from HP and both sticks are now running 3200 MHz in dual mode.  HP part number is L89729-001

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=9FCB8C73FFC14FB7B2810B216B0F8AC2&SearchIn=P...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@alex266 , welcome to the forum.

The motherboard and processor will support 3200 MHz.  Therefore, this is not the problem.  The only suggestions that I can make are: 1) update the BIOS if an update is available and 2) clear the CMOS.  This will clear the BIOS of the old settings.  If these don't work for you, I suggest that you contact the memory manufacturer's Tech Support for help.  They should be able to tell you what is causing your problem or at least give you suggestions for a possible solution.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I had to call HyperX support after buying and installing the Kingston HyperX fury RGB 3200 MHz 8GB RAM from Amazon. It works, but it will not run at the advertised speed of 3200 MHz and it will not run in dual channel mode. To set the new RAM at the higher frequency, XMP Profile 1 for this memory slot has to be enabled in the bios. You can enable this function in the BIOS on most motherboards, but this functionality is missing from the HP bios. In order to enable the higher operating speed and to run in dual channel memory mode, you will have to purchase and install the 8GB of RAM directly from HP.

I purchased and installed this RAM directly from HP and both sticks are now running 3200 MHz in dual mode.  HP part number is L89729-001

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=9FCB8C73FFC14FB7B2810B216B0F8AC2&SearchIn=P...

HP Recommended

DrTechNerd, when you added the ram from HP, were there other settings you had to tinker with or were you able to achieve dual channel and 3200 out of the box? I'm thinking of going this route and returning my 32GB Corsair Vengeance ram.

HP Recommended

I was able to achieve dual channel and 3200 out of the box.

Annotation 2020-05-31 214157.pngAnnotation 2020-05-31 214246.png

HP Recommended

That's what I figured. Had I known about the BIOS issue, I probably would've researched more before going with HP. 

If I replace the HyperX stick with my 32GB Corsair Vengeance kit (which I believe is CL 16 modules) and find the clock speed does slow, will reinstalling the HyperX stick bring the clock speed back?

I have a feeling my options are to either install the 32GB kit, and just accept the lower clock speed overall or do what you did and order a HyperX from HP direct in order to get dual channel, low latency, and high clock speed.

Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.