Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

BKirckof,

Try turning OFF the "Turn on fast startup" in the Power and Sleep settings in Windows 10.   That worked for me.

Screenshot (16).png

HP Recommended

I have finally located the specific service which causes my issue. The display name of the service is XTUOCDriverService, the actual name of the service is XTU3SERVICE and the executable is C:\windows\SysWOW64\XtuService.exe.

If I use selective startup in System Configuration and disable this service everything works as expected.

What I did:

1. Under Task Manager: disabled all startup programs

2. Under System Configuration, services tab: disabled all non-Microsoft services

3. Re-enabled all services, one at a time, restarted and remained in that configuration for a week or so

4. When I enabled the XTU3SERVICE the sleep/wake from sleep problem occurred again

5. Since the XTU3SERVICE was the last listed service, System Configuration changed from Selective startup to Normal startup when I enabled it. I was concerned that this might be the issue, so I disabled another service and enabled the XTU3SERVICE service just to see. Problem still occurred.

6. Re-enabled all startup programs, everything still functioning normally

The XTU3SERVICE is causing the issue for sure.  This is an Intel overclocking-related service and I'm not sure how, or if, it's used.  I'm researching how to uninstall  C:\windows\SysWOW64\XtuService.exe. Turns out this isn't easy either.  On a side note, how I long for the straight-forward, easily configurable Windows 7!

So, there you go. My desktop is working as designed (actually, it worked just fine w/o any startup programs enabled and all non-Microsoft services disabled...hmmm).  Thanks to the suggestions by others, none of which worked for my specific PC, but I appreciate you taking the time to read and reply.

HP Recommended

Some real good advice everybody. This problem of my computer not waking from sleep has vexed me for awhile. I have upgraded BIOS...updated all drivers I could...changed power settings. Turning off "Turn on Fast Startup" may have fixed it for me. That one is hard to find. You have to go into the old control panel from Windows 7 and search for power options. I also recommend deleting any program you don't need. I found a couple of programs I never installed and deleted them. It seems ok now but if it happens again, I will try Bathomassr's process. I did not have XTU3SERVICE on my laptop.

HP Recommended

As often happens, I spoke too soon and turning off Fast Startup did not solve the problem. I will have to use Bathomassr's method.

HP Recommended

Bathomassr's method has not really worked for me either.

Nothing seems to solve this issue of the PC sometimes, not all the time, freezing after the screen powers off. It seems like the longer the delay from screen shutdown to PC sleep increases the likelihood of a freeze. The weird thing about this problem is when you try something like deleting an app, changing a power setting or shutting a service it almost always gives the appearance that it solved the problem, only for it to return. Maybe that is a clue, I don't know. At least I have stripped my PC down to a lean, fast machine.

My current solution, which is working until it doesn't, is to not set the screen to shutdown. I have that set to never on battery or plugged in. I really don't lose much, as the screen was only off a few minutes until sleep was initiated. Perhaps some future driver update or Windows update will fix this issue, but it is not worth my time right now to keep investigating. I will post again if this too fails.

HP Recommended

Hello Echo_Lake

My HP assistant doesn't show any me any BIOS update but the latest BIOS in my system is from November 2019. Is there a newer one? My System is an Omen Obelisk 875-1987nz.

Thank you for you Reply.

Can you also tell me what can be done if the BIOS gets corrupted while doing the update? The shire board doesn't seem to have any 2nd BIOS or anything to save the Mainboard. Is the Computer still in warranty if it goes wrong?

HP Recommended

@Ovecarleone
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Many HP computers have an HP BIOS Restore tool that might be able to recover the BIOS from an earlier version and restore basic functionality. This tool might or might not work in the event of BIOS corruption depending on many factors, but is worth trying in the event the BIOS is corrupted.

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next section to Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-875-1000-obelisk-desktop-pc-se... to know more about the latest BIOS driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.