Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-157c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently, I tried to use a USB 3.0 (red port) flash drive in one of my front USB 3.0 type A ports and the drive was not recognized. I tried a USB 2.0 flash drive as well, but nothing happens.  The drives are no longer recognized by the USB port. However, when I placed the same flash drives in the other USB 3.0 type A port right next to the faulty port, the flash drives are immediately recognized. I have uninstalled the drivers for the USB ports in Device Manager, made sure that my Windows 10 64 bit (Version 1903) is fully up-to-date, searched for updated Intel and NVidia USB drivers, and verified that all of the other ports are working. Only one front USB type A port is faulty. I contacted HP since I am still under warranty and was promised that a new PCBA I/O Intel card (part number 928214-001) which contains two (2) USB Type A ports, two (2) USB Type C ports, the microphone port, the headphone port, and the 3-in-1 card reader, would be shipped to me for replacing the faulty card. However, a couple of days later, I received an email stating "This is in regards to the part that you ordered for your unit. The service center has notified that we do not have this part in hand and no longer support this part and nor does the vendor." How is this possible for a gaming system that is fairly new and being widely used currently?

There is no sense in sending the card in for repair because HP does not support the card. Wow, a key feature of the HP gaming system has failed and is unsupported by HP, even for those still under warranty. The front panel USB ports are extremely useful, especially for quick plug-in of accessories such as VR controllers. I asked HP what the next steps are for correcting this issue in a PC that is still under warranty, but have yet to receive a response. I recommend that everyone check their USB ports to ensure that they all work as advertised and support the various USB type devices.

Has anyone had this same experience with the front USB ports? Is there something that I could be missing in my troubleshooting steps?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @WAYZOR 

Most likely its dead as you pointed out. A replacement would be the only fix.

You uninstalled what you could in the Device Manager already and it didn't work.

You might also try finding the Upper/Lower Filters in the Registry and delete them.

Back up your registry first in case something goes wrong.

Then follow the image and see if the Upper and/or Lower Filters exist. If they do, delete them and reboot.

If they don't exist, then don't worry with it.

NOTE: the key folders name might not have all the numbers you see in the image, but the first part of it will be 4d36e965 and will be the same folder.

usb fix in registry.JPG

Also re-seat the cable plug that goes into the motherboard.

If none of that helps, I'm afraid you need a new USB PCB.

All I can do for you is contact the Mods to see if someone can contact you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.