Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

My son is asking me to upgrade his HP Envy TE01-1009 desktop in order to improve his gaming quality.  He usually plays Roblox and BeamNG.  Any suggestions? Im guessing some RAM and a video card but not sure what is compatible. Thanks in advance 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Hallsy89 

Check out possible upgrades at this YouTube video. This PC's configuration (except for a DVD drive and possible memory specification differences) is similar to your son's PC.

Your PC's specs Here show a 180 watt power supply, integrated Intel graphics, and 16 GBs of RAM.

Upgrade options:

16 GBs of RAM is okay. Most games run fine with 16 GBs of memory. You could add more but the PC may now have 2x8 GB sticks of RAM. This means replacing the 2x8 GB sticks of RAM with 2x16 GB sticks of RAM.

The MB has a PCIe x16 slot required for discrete graphics. The graphics card upgrade choice is limited by power supply specifications. Upgrade the power supply. Check various graphics cards to find a card that will work with a 400 watt or 500 watt power supply.

The power supply will have to be upgraded. HP has a 400 watt power supply part number L04618-800 SFF PSU available at the HP Parts Store. The 500 watt power supply part number L05757-800 can be purchased at Amazon or eBay and possibly other similar sites.

I have not seen a PSU exceeding 500 watts for this PC.

HP Recommended

Hi Bill, thanks for all the info. If I do update the power supply what kind of video card is compatible and decent? I’m not looking to spend a lot of money right now but I want an upgrade for him. 

thanks 

Val 

HP Recommended

Hi Val

The graphics card market is messed up. Prices are still higher than they should be and choices are limited. I will not buy a new graphics card. I am using a 1080 and a 2080.

I hope my cards hang in there. 

The AMD 6600XT works with the HP 500 watt power supply. It is almost $500.00. Look at a 6500XT card.

Nvidia is crazy with graphics card prices at this time. An Nvidia 3050 requires (recommends) a 550 watt PSU. 3050 prices at this Link

Edited: "Check this Gigabyte 3050. It suggests a 450 watt PSU with one 8 pin connection and is 8.39 inches in length".

You also have to verify the graphics card fits in the HP chassis. You should be able to do a dual slot 9.5 inch, or maybe a 10 inch, graphics card in the case.

I don't like to suggest specific products.

HP Recommended

Hi Bill, it’s me again lol. Are there any video cards that would be decent for the current power supply of 180 w? I’ve contacted Hp and they’ve been horrendous to deal with and I’ve had no luck trying to order those power supply units you suggested. I looked on Ebay and Amazon but not sure I trust spending $200 and getting them shipped from China or UK. I’m losing hope in finding a 400 w or 500 w PSU in order to get a better video card. 
thanks again for all your help 😊🙏

HP Recommended

Hi @Hallsy89 

Sorry, but I don't see any worthwhile discrete graphics card upgrade options without having a minimum 400 watt power supply.

The HP 400 watt PSU at the HP Parts Store would give some options. This part is on back order. HP has a 310 watt PSU, part number L03980-800. This is no longer available.

The cards at this Site are older products. They recommend 300-350 watt or above power supplies.

All of the newer cards are power hungry.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same desktop. I installed the gtx 1030 gpu from Asus and it runs fine with the 180 w PSU. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.