Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I keep downloading various files for independent games. Such as Dwarf Fortress, or other video games and I've noticed that the files won't run. Each time, it keeps claiming that files are missing and that varies from video game to video game. 

I've redownloaded multiple times and Im not sure where to go from here.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Propa

Typically we don't do support for 3rd party games here in the HP Forum. You would need to go to their websites and ask them how they install as each game works differently.

Example: Dwarf Fortress forum  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/

I did look into Dwarf Fortress and its a really old game that's been supported since 2002 and still sets up like it did back then. It does not have an installer so you need to tweak a few things to get it to work. They are getting ready to release it via Steam for a fee, but no mention of when that will happen.

A quick GOOGLE search can be your friend in these situations. I looked it up and found this info for Dwarf Fortress...

1. For installing and error messages, go to this link and scroll down to Installation: Windows. 
    It will offer tips on missing files needed for it to work.   https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Installation
  2. For other tweaks needed, watch the video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=616&v=TQv60baAy70&feature=emb_logo

That's about all I can do for you on this subject. Hopefully it points you in the right direction. Good luck.

HP Recommended

I understand that but the issue didn't just occur for a singular third party platform. I've noticed, the issue has spread to other games and such making them much more difficult to run. I did consult the local forum for each video game before I realized that a few of my Steam games were having the same if not similar issue.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I would have no idea what you understand already, I can only go by what you originally wrote which is very vague.

There could be so many things causing various issues for different games, I couldn't begin to know what to tell you unless I had it in my hands perhaps. Make sure Windows is fully up to date by forcing it to search for updates, even if it shows it up to date.

If you have other queries, please post what product number of HP PC you have at the beginning of each new thread so we aren't trying to guess what you have. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Ill try that but thanks for the help! In the end, I notice it all centers around the startup files of each game and that it might be deleting files inside the game before they start up. Otherwise, I'll try that.

HP Recommended

One more thing that may or may not help. Shot in the dark here.

Some games (depending) might benefit by setting the Compatibility Mode to a previous version of windows like 7 or XP. You can right click the games exe startup file and choose Properties, then select the compatibility tab.

This can work on Steam games also. You would have to navigate to the Steam games install location to change the settings for each games exe file individually.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.