Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-103nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear users,

I purchased an HP Omen 880-103nl desktop gaming pc in a retailer in my city. I paid an extra to enhance the warranty to 4 years. On this pc there is Windows 10 Home preinstalled.

Since I'm a photographer, I need Windows 10 Pro, but I don't want to invalidate the warranty.

My children use the PC for gaming. Now I want to add an SSD in the SATA slot on the front of the PC and install Windows 10 Pro to work.

I'm not opening the case or make changes to Win 10 Home (preinstalled), but ADD another storage.

Will the warranty be valid if I do this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@micntt , welcome to the forum.

You can upgrade your computer without voiding the warranty if you don't damage any of the components in the process.  Of course, any damage that you cause will be at your expense.  It sounds like you want to add the SSD in the external front bays.  So, you don't even have to open the case.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Yes, I want to add the SSD in the external front bays without opening the case.

So, the OS that I'm going to install in the SSD that I'll add will not be covered by the warranty, and for me it isn't a problem.

But W10 Home (preinstalled) will remain covered by warranty?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Yes

HP Recommended

@micntt

@micntt wrote:

Yes, I want to add the SSD in the external front bays without opening the case.

So, the OS that I'm going to install in the SSD that I'll add will not be covered by the warranty, and for me it isn't a problem.

But W10 Home (preinstalled) will remain covered by warranty?

Thanks

This is correct!  Anything that you add to your computer to upgrade is not covered by the warranty.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your replies.

Now I want to know: if I add W10 Pro in SSD front bay, and I get a malware in this, which damages also W10 Home preinstalled, is the latter covered by warranty?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@micntt, you are welcome!  If you get malware or a virus in either of your drives it is not covered by the warranty.  You simply have to be careful to follow good computing habits so you don't get malware or viruses.

HP Recommended

Thanks for reply.

Another question: can I go in bios settings and edit boot order to set 1st place to W10 Pro installed in SSD front bay? Or I invalidate the warranty?

Or is there a way (es. boot menu) to select on each boot which OS I want to boot?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.