Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add a M.2 ssd drive to my 870-244 omen i bought from best buy, but it only says that it is a M.2 socket 3, key M, it does not say the size of m.2 it will hold. i have found a 2280 & a 2260. nor does anything say which type it is, does it need a sata version or other type of M.2

any info would be great as i want to run the os on the m.2 

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi mudduck454

I see two screw points used to secure the M.2 drive to the motherboard. So it appears you can mount a 2242 or a 2260.

The 2280 would be too long.

Please see this article covering the M.2 interface.

I can't find any information if the M.2 slot on your motherboard is SATA, PCIe 3x4, or if it supports both. The Z170 chipset, which your MB has, supports M.2 SATA or PCIe 3x4.

The next unknown is if HP has included code in the BIOS to allow a device installed in this slot to appear in the Boot Menu.

I have a Samsung 960 EVO 22110 boot drive running great on a Z170 motherboard. So a PCIE 3x4 M.2 drive should run on your PC if HP added the option in the BIOS.

Maybe another forum member has verifiable experience with these questions.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, guess i should check the bios next time i boot up, and see if there are any M.2 options

HP Recommended

Hi mudduck454

You are welcome.

Oh, I messed up on the drive measurements.

You were right, a 2260 will fit and a 2280 may fit. Check the measurement. I have a 2280, not a 22110.

Check the BIOS. There is not much info available from HP that I can find on booting to this device.

I have older HP systems, no M.2 slots. But I have a new Asus Z170 board with an M.2 PCIE 3x4 slot.

This setting could be in Storage, Device Security, Slot Security. The setting on an ASus MB is in Onboard Devices Configuration.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I found the setting to enable and disable the M.2 port, and it is enabled by default, so Now I Just have to buy one to try it out, because without one in it, the system wont reconise it and wont show up in the boot order. now to deciode how big of one to get.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you add M.2? Is it Sata or pcie?

Thanks..

HP Recommended

i havent had a chance to buy one yet, been real busy  with other things, plus i have to take out the video card to access it so I have been delaying it, but I will post once i figure it out, I am buying the SATA one to test first

HP Recommended
I am in the same boat. Can't find anywhere if this motherboard supports PCIE or not.
HP Recommended

I had the same question.  I think I have it figured out.

Product specs of the motherboard: http://hp.care/2tCRm16  .  

It says its a socket 3, key M

Wikipedia article about m.2    http://hp.care/2sGiO9Q 

Furthermore, M.2 sockets keyed for SATA or two PCI Express lanes (PCIe ×2) are referred to as "socket 2 configuration" or "socket 2", while the sockets keyed for four PCI Express lanes (PCIe ×4) are referred to as "socket 3 configuration" or "socket 3"

So to me it looks like its PCIe x4 and the 2280 should be right.  I think I'm going to order one and give it a try.  You are right, you can't even see the slot because it's blocked by the video card.  

I'm thinking of this one - Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E500BW)

HP Recommended
All the best. I guess i will go ahead and do the same.

Thanks for the response.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.