Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion gaming desktop TG01- 0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so I bought you desktop pc that is supposed to run gaming but when I run games the cpu temprature is 80c. Sometimes it evens shut the pc down. I need help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @_ho1_ 

I will try to help if I can.

Tell me the correct "product number" so I can look everything up.

Press Control/Alt/S for the information menu in windows
Or
Go to the Start menu and scroll to H/HP Help and Support/HP Support Assistant.
Open the program and click on your computer in the list.
The Product Number will be listed there.

HP Recommended

my product number is: 8FB70EA#UUW

i really hope you can help me because i can't play games any mor

thanks

HP Recommended

OK thanks. I have to admit I'm not impressed with the little air cooler that ships with those models. But it shouldn't be hot enough to shut down.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to see the temps?

Did your system have the HP Command Center? Its OK if it doesn't, just curious.

Is the CPU fan running and does it run faster as the temps reach 80 or above?

Is it only games that get this hot?

What is the temperature if you start it up but don't do anything for 5 minutes?

Can you tell what the temp just before it shuts off?

Some things I can suggest that "might" be the culprit...

• Something else running in the background eating CPU resources. Open the Task Manager and see if anything besides your game is taking a lot of the percentage of CPU. Control/Alt/Delete opens the Task Manager, click once on the CPU tab to sort highest to lowest.
  • The heat-sink might need to be re-paste. If the factory did a poor job, it will cause over heating. But it might not be something you want to tackle as its a big job removing everything and pulling the motherboard. You could contact HP Support for a warranty claim and ask them to do it. Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site 
  • Warranty wont take the machine back to re-paste unless you try some other things first. Ultimately, you would want to reinstall Windows first. Then only update Windows and install one of the games that has the heat issue. Test the temps.
  • Install a better heat-sink would help. But know that it wont be covered under warranty. If you broke anything while attempting to install it, it will void the warranty. That is strictly your decision, but I would consider it a last resort. I would rather you tried the previous suggestions first, rather than recommend a new heat-sink.

HP Recommended

Similar stories I believe and my mods + software side as the latter is more relevant in some cases 

Software related issue

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Pc-runs-hot-after-Bios-update-F-22/m-p/7708705#M11004

My problem and what seems to be working for me

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Overheating-after-BIOS-update/m-p/7708688#M11002

HP Recommended

Its definitely plausible the reinstalling might help if that is the problem. Ive see a couple cases over time that it helped. Lots of times it didn't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.